Chapter 1 - Carly

3 years ago I sat at the kitchen table. My right eye was swollen shut, and bruises covered my cheeks, arms, stomach, and back. My body was tense and shaking as I waited for the man across from me to finish his breakfast before work. How did I get here? How did I not see through his disguise? 

Those thoughts plagued my sleep and every waking day. I tried to be good and understanding. I tried to make his life easier. I just didn't know what I did wrong!
The table shook, rattling me from my inner thoughts as I slowly raised my head. Looking up at the man who was my husband. 

"I'm off to work. Make sure this place is cleaned up Carly, or expect an even worse punishment than last night." Sam said, making his way around the table to stand in front of me. 

As he reached out to stroke my cheek, I flinched, making him grin as his thumb ran down my swollen cheek roughly, making me whimper. "Don't make me mad sweetheart," he whispered as he leaned down, kissing the top of my head. 

"Y-Yes Sam... I'll d-do better.." I stuttered, lowering my head back down to stare at my clasped hands.

"You'd better." He yelled out as he left through the front door, slamming it behind him.

I sighed with relief, taking a deep breath to get my breathing and trembling body under control as I slowly stood. 

Cautiously I moved around the large wooden table and walked into the living room. Slowly I push the curtain to the side, spying out of the gap to see that the car was gone.

With a deep breath, I moved quickly out of the living room and down the hallway. Pushing my way into the master bedroom I look around quickly before walking into the bathroom ensuite. Keeping my gaze away from the mirrors I rush to the toilet. I reach around and grab ahold of the small bundle of cash I've managed to save over the months.
As quickly as I can I bolt out of the bathroom, being careful again to avoid my reflection. Not wanting to see the horrors he has inflicted on my body.

In the bedroom,m I open the closet. Quickly I push all the other jackets and coats to the side, grabbing my coat from the back of the closet where Sam never looks. I check my pockets and nearly cry with happiness. The keys to my beaten-up '98 Corolla are still there! 

With no time to celebrate I shrug the coat on, shoving the cash and keys back in my pocket. Quickly I move out of the room and continue down the hallway to the back door.
Glancing around cautiously, I make sure no one is around. Seeing I'm alone I turn the doorknob and slip outside. The warm breeze circled me, blowing my blonde tresses around as I made my way to the shed in the backyard. Quickly, quietly I pull the slide bolt open, my body tensing as I inch closer to my freedom away from this pain that still lingers.

I open the shed doors quickly, pushing them wide open to reveal the final part of my escape. My old '98 Corolla I bought in my final year of high school.
Tears spring to my eyes as I round the driver's side, pulling the keys from the coat of my pocket.  Finding the right key I slid it into the door, unlocking my ride to freedom. With a click I hear the lock pop open and grin, my split lip stinging, but not stopping my happiness. I open the door quickly and slide in, my body screaming from the movement.

I take a few deep breaths, breathing through the sudden pain. Slowly I straighten, closing the door as I lean up. Grabbing the keys I shove them into the ignition, sending thanks up above as the car sputters to life with the turn of the key.

Gripping the steering wheel tightly I push the gear stick into drive. Slowly easing my foot onto the accelerator, moving the car forward.
As I drive out of the driveway, I take one last look back at the house I spent the last 2 years of my life, living in hell.
Today I've gotten away, and today my life begins again.