[ Chapter 6 ] End of the Line

Ritsuka, Mash and Lancelot made their way out of Chaldea thanks to the mercy shown by Romani. But, the question earlier still lingered in Ritsuka's mind despite having answered it already.

"Can I really do it this time..?"

She felt her chest become tight, as if something was constricting her heart.

This thought wasn't only on her mind, but Mash's as well. Never would they have thought of the day they'd need to destroy their home, along with all its current inhabitants.

The most unexpected thing out of all of this was the existence of another Ritsuka, and how she knew their objective and used it against them.

Before long, Lancelot would grab onto both of their shoulders, bringing them to a halt before they ran into a hill of snow. It seems they were both lost in thought.

"Master, Mash, I think we should be safe here if they try to hunt us down again." The skies above were clear, the halo of light still present. There was no snow attempting to bury them alive either, and with high ground, they had a vantage point.

"I guess we should regroup and think over the information we just got." Taking a seat on the snow below her, she needed to devise a plan to deny this Lostbelt now that Chaldea is their enemy.

One thing that's been bugging her, however, was that Da Vinci had not even made a peep since their encounter with Hundred Personas. Taking out her communicator, it appeared just fine and functional.

Could they have already intercepted the [ Shadow Border ]? This was a worrying thought. The rest of her Servants were still in the suitcase hidden within the vehicle.

"Da Vinci! Da Vinci! Can you hear me?!" The other end was simply static. But she kept trying to get a response.

"Da Vinci! Please! Say something!"

Yet again, static.

This was the worst case scenario. The path back to the [ Shadow Border ] was still affected by a snowstorm, most likely caused by the Chaldea [ Boundary Field ] Defense System since they've now confirmed they're still functioning.

If they went down the wrong path, they'd have to circle around the entire [ Boundary Field ] to find the vessel again. Not only would they exhaust themselves, but they'd be far too open to enemy attacks.

But she didn't believe Da Vinci would so easily be defeated by Hundred Personas or any Servant for that matter, even in her weaker body. She tried calling out to her one more time.

"Da Vinci..please respond if you're there.."

"........"

She waited.

"............"

She was ready to put down the communicator.

"..............."

She wanted to cry again. But she held onto it.

".....Rit.....ka..."

Finally, she got a response through the static.

"Da Vinci?! Are you alright!?" She put the microphone within breathing range of her mouth. The signal was weak, that's all she could conclude from how choppy the other side's voice was.

"...voi....gnal....disrupt..."

Although she couldn't catch the first few words, all she needed to hear was 'disrupt'. It was obvious, the fact she never thought about it meant her mind hadn't cleared yet.

Chaldea was jamming communication signals within their Defense System's effective range. If she wanted to establish communications again, she needed to go into the snowstorm outside the reach of the system.