iv

the music pumping from the speakers was the only thing on jimin's mind as he let his thoughts recede and his body take over. there were a few gasps from the group, seeing as they were all beginner students. he didn't let them distract him. jimin already knew he was a good dancer.

every step, every movement, it felt like he was floating.

when the music slowly faded out, the small male forced himself to stop and turned to his students, smiling warmly at them.

"this is the group dance that you'll be learning for the competition."

they all started to panic.

"but sunbaenim, i'm not that good at dancing!"

"there's no way i could do that!"

"it'll take me years to be able to do that!"

laughing a bit, jimin held up his hand and they quieted down.

"first of all, you guys don't need to be that formal with me. you guys are all what, fifteen? fourteen? i'm only a few years older than you. just call me and all the other male instructors 'hyung.'

"second, this dance isn't as complicated as it looks. it may be a bit challenging, but i believe you can all learn it and dance well. after all," he grinned, "you've got me as your teacher. and hoseok-hyung wanted to help me out, so he'll be joining us."

speaking of the cheerful man, he burst in, smiling and sweating like he'd just run a marathon.

"hey guys!" he bounced over to the younger and slung his arm around jimin's shoulder. "sorry i'm a bit late, i wanted to help one of my students with a move he'd been struggling with."

a curious boy raised his hand.

"sunbaeni- hoseok-hyung, what class do you teach?"

"hip hop!" he said cheerfully. "jiminie here can b-boy almost as well as me."

"really!?"

"jimin-hyung, i want to see you b-boy!"

"alright!" he cleared his throat, shooting a death glare at hobi. "maybe next time. hyung, how about you start them off with a basic warmout? have them practice their footwork too. i'm going to grab some water."

as soon as he nodded in agreement, jimin slipped out of the room into the lobby, flopping down onto a couch. it had been a long day. not only had he been choreographing his own solo for the upcoming competition, jimin's first class of the day was the advanced class. he was already tired, and the complicated dance moves he had to teach multiple times didn't help.

"don't you have a class to teach?"

his head jerked up.

it was jeongguk.

"those boys are the beginners, right? hobi-hyung mentioned to me that he would be helping out."

jimin nodded in confirmation, tongue swelling up in his mouth like always.

"he said i could watch, is that okay...?"

he nodded again, grabbing jeongguk's hand and pulling him into the classroom.

"jiminie, they're ready to- jeongguk-ah!" hoseok squealed, running up to the boy and hugging him tightly. "everyone, take five."

hobi pulled the other two aside to chat.

"jeongguk, i'm so happy that you actually came! i've been begging you to watch me dance for months now! what changed?"

jeongguk chuckled awkwardly.

"i can't support my best friend?"

suddenly, hobi stepped close to him, and not-so-quietly whispered to him.

"it's because of jiminie, right? the other day, you wouldn't stop going on about how cute he was and that you got to see him again while you were working."

jimin buried his face in his hands, and jeongguk turned bright red.

"hyung, he's right there."

"aw, jiminie doesn't mind! neither of you have found your soulmates yet, so it's fine if you like him!"

his mark felt like it was burning. tugging down the sleeve of his sweater, jimin avoided hoseok's gaze. the other dancer froze as he connected the dots.

"wait... you found your soulmate and you didn't tell me!?"

jimin ignored his incessant questions and focused his attention on jeongguk. the younger was standing there stiffly, face pale. he forced a smile when they made eye contact.

"congratulations."

before the pink-haired male could say or do anything, he ran out of the studio.

"shit," hoseok muttered. "jeongguk!"

he chased after him, leaving jimin with a room of extremely confused students.

"hyung? are they okay?"

he stared at the door they'd just run through blankly.

"hyung?"

a tug on his sweater finally caught jimin's attention. the boys were all staring at him with concern.

"did something happen?"

"actually, yes."

the words left his mouth before he even realized what he was saying.

"i'm getting seulgi-noona to teach your class today. just remember to relax your body and follow the beat!"

with that, jimin sprinted through the door, stopping only to tell seulgi she needed to take over his class. he searched the entire studio, but he had no idea where they were. the pinkette chewed his lip nervously, unsure where else they could possibly be.

it hit him like a flash.

the abandoned amusement park in the field behind the studio.

jimin burst through the doors and started running like his life depended on it. once he heard their voices, he slowed to a walk, panting loudly. sure enough, hoseok and jeongguk were sitting a mere five feet away on one of the ferris wheel carts, facing away from him. it was a miracle that they didn't hear his unsteady breathing.

"but hyung, i-i really did think he was my soulmate," jeongguk sniffled. "i felt this... this spark when i looked in his eyes, and my soulmate's name is jimin! he has to be my soulmate!"

hoseok rubbed circles into his back.

"shhh," he soothed. "he still might be! he hasn't spoken to you yet, right?"

"n-no..."

"then you still have a chance!"

"but he would know that i'm his soulmate. wouldn't he have told me?"

of course, as soon as they stopped talking, jimin slipped on an old bucket of popcorn and fell. hobi screamed like a girl and hid behind jeongguk while the other whipped around.

"i don't want to die, please don't kill me!" hoseok wailed, shaking like a leaf.

sheepishly, jimin stood up, smiling nervously.

"j-jimin!? it's just you!? you scared me, dumbass!" the oldest scolded, immediately relaxing. jeongguk looked petrified.

"how much did you hear?"

his body seemed to move on its own as jimin walked towards jeongguk and stuck his hand out. the younger stared at it, confused.

"hi," jimin said quietly. "i'm jimin, and i'm your soulmate."

i could finally speak.