Chapter One: Grieving Failure

Prepare yourselves...~

Amaranth and Joe wake up early the next morning and take turns showering before they begin packing. There's a knock on the door of their room.

"Come in," Amaranth says continuing to pack.

Darren walks in, Gwen trailing behind.

"Hey girls almost ready?" Darren asks smiling.

"Yeah just finished packing," Amaranth says zipping up her bag.

"Speak for yourself!" Joe exclaims sitting and bouncing on her suitcase to get it to close.

Darren and Gwen chuckle. 

Gwen turns to Amaranth, "Be safe, help Joe since this is her first time."

Amaranth rolls her eyes, "I know, Mom."

"Oh, and be cautious-," Gwen gets interrupted.

"Mom, I've been on seven assignments," Amaranth mutters.

Darren and Joe snicker at Gwen's protectivness.

"Sorry, I'll always worry about my baby," Gwen says sniffing dramatically.

Amaranth rolls her eyes again.

"Time to go," Amaranth says before hugging both of her parents.

The girls put their bags and suitcases in the back of a black SUV before one of the members throws Amaranth the keys. The girls then get in Amaranth in the driver side and Joe in the passenger.

"I'll take first shift," Amaranth says glancing over at Joe, who is already trying to go to sleep.

Amaranth smiles briefly shaking her head. Amaranth pulls out of the driveway beginning their twelve-hour journey.

~~

When they arrive, Amaranth is shaken awake by Joe. They both get out and the Alpha greets them.

"Welcome, ladies," He bows politely.

The gamma takes their bags out of the SUV and takes it to their rooms.

"We were advised you needed a little help," Amaranth says bowing back out of respect.

The Alpha nods, "Yes, but it may be worse than we anticipated."

"How?" Joe asks cutting in.

"My patrols tell me Remus' pack members along with a few wildes are set up near our northern border," The Alpha informs them.

Amaranth's eyes widen before whispering harshly, "Not again."

"Will we be training your warriors?" Amaranth asks before they can question what she had said.

"Not today, tomorrow in the morning, perhaps?" The Alpha asks.

Amaranth nods.

"My gamma shall show you where you'll both be staying, you two look like you need some rest, "The Alpha says as his gamma walks back towards them.

His gamma bows before leading them to their rooms, which is on the second floor of the two-story pack house. Amaranth sits on her bed sighing and touching her left shoulder. 

She looks at the floor, "I hope this works out," She mutters before laying down and falling asleep.

~~

Amaranth is suddenly woken up by screams and the smell of smoke. She looks around her room to see it on fire and she rushes downstairs to see a few dead bodies. She rushes past them, anger blooming in her chest. She looks on to see it's still late at night. She rushes out the back door to see Joe fighting Remus.