Katniss and Peeta

A light of hope invaded my soul when, after an entire day of hiding and camouflaging in the jungle, I heard the bells of Katniss's voice ringing, calling my name before she got me out of my hiding spot. I would have thought that she'd be mad at me for lining up with the people who had tried to killed her, but the ugly truth was I had only done that to protect her. With them by my side, I could guide them always away from her so they wouldn't harm her. I guess they weren't wrong calling me lover boy. Of course my facade had eventually cracked, and when they found out I was fooling around with them they were anything but happy. A sword to my leg had left that clear. I had escaped luckily, but wouldn't get far with that injure in my leg. At least that's what I thought until she found me.

Katniss examined clinically my injure, suddenly erasing all emotion from her face so I feared the worst. She promised me it'd be fine but I found that hard to believe considering I could barely move enough to walk with her help.

We found a comforting and secluded cave where we could hide until we could figure something out. We had promised to each other we'd find a solution together and though we received some parachutes with food and so it didn't ease the growing infection in my leg. It was getting warmer by the minute and I could feel the hot spreading through my muscles from my toe to my hips but I fought against the urge of even wincing at the imminent pain. I didn't want Katniss to jump into something reckless and dangerous in an attempt to save me. I'd do anything to keep her safe.

For hours I battled against my eyes that felt heavier by the second craving some rest. I wanted to keep my eyes open as much as I could, fearing if I closed them I'd fall into that dark hole of emptiness and I'd leave Katniss here on her own. Eventually my body gave in and I passed out by some rocks she had carefully placed me on. I closed my eyes and dreamed about the first time I had ever laid my eyes on that girl, two braids instead of one and a smile that could brighten the whole room. I was hypnotized by her voice when she sang the valley song, and after that she was all I could think of. I had always dreamed that one of those days when I quietly watched her go home from school it'd be the day I'd walk right by her and finally tell her all those feelings I had learnt to burry. If I had known I'd be chosen to participate in the games, I'd have gathered up the strength much sooner and maybe, just maybe, we'd be together now.

A loud voice ringing through the forest startled us all of the sudden and Katniss's ears shot up almost immediately, trying to comprehend what the voice was saying. Our generous hosts were giving a feast in the Cornucopia where they'd display things we all needed desperately. Blue eyes in front of me widened with hope to the thought of being able to save me but I dismissed the idea almost instantly. There were some seriously dangerous people out there and I wouldn't be able to help her given my state.

"You're not going alone" I stated coldly in response but the determination in her face didn't crack not even a bit.

"Yes, you need it and you can't walk" Katniss countered while collecting her bow, stubborn until the very end.

"Katniss you're not gonna risk your life. I'm not gonna let you" I rose my voice enough for her to stop what she was doing and stare at my hand that had reached out to grasp her arm that was holding her bow.

"You'd do it for me, wouldn't you?" she spat firmly while piercing my eyes with her incredible blue orbs. It was a look that hypnotized me and scared me at the same time. Why did she keep acting this way?

She seemed to sense the question inside my head and she was quick to give me a straight answer. Suddenly the usual distant girl from my district leaned forwards until her lips collapsed with mine in a spirited kiss that heated up the situation within the minute. The second I felt her lips on mine I knew that there was no way I could let her go now. Now things were clearer than ever. I had to protect Katniss.