3 ‣ morning jog

"Well, well. Hey," Jaein Lim, one of the wellness major girls who lives on the first floor of your dorm building, greets you as you walk passed her on the sidewalk. She's very pretty, but she's one of those girls that let pretty get to her head. She can be tolerable when she wants to be, though, but let someone she thinks is a threat be the slightest bit imperfect and it's the end of the world. After all, she's so perfect. "Haven't seen you around much! It's a miracle I catch you." She laughs emptily.

"Oh. Hey, Jaein." You nod, pressing your lips into a small smile and continuing your walk at a slower pace now as she proceeds to join you uninvitedly. She always does this. It's like starting passive-aggressive, subtle low-blow conversations with people gives her purpose.

"How have you been?" She asks, all preppy-like and falsely interested. "I haven't gotten to talk to you in a while. What have you been up to, girl?" She shoves you're shoulder with that stupid wide smile of hers as if you're close. It's not like she's ever actually remotely even cared about how you've been.

"You know. Studying." You answer, shortly. "The usual. Nothing's really changed."

"Mm-hmm." Jaein mutters under her breath. "A few things have changed, though."

"A few things?" You echo. "What's that supposed to mean?" You turn to look at her with confused eyebrows.

"Well, before, you weren't really a dating type of girl." Jaein tries to explain her mumbled words, since she did a poor job of keeping them inaudible. But with her, odds are she did that on purpose. Jaein glances up at you. "Now, you got guys coming up to your dorm—"

"Woah, woah, woah," You cut her off, now realizing exactly why she decided to start being nice to you again.

"Oh, damn. I'm so sorry—" Jaein shakes her head, putting her hands up, a gesture she uses all the time when she wants someone to hear her out. Her cut-off apology sounds about as fake as this friendship and you wish you could call her out without her spinning everything and spreading rumors around that you wanna beat her up over a dude. "I didn't mean to be nosey, it's none of my business. Ignore that I said that, please." She insists.

"Hold on. It's not what you think—" You exhale, realizing if Jaein was bold enough to come up to you with this, it means that's all those bottom floor girls have been talking about lately.

"No, no. You don't need to explain anything to me. It's your life, not mine. I'm not one to judge." Jaein cuts you off, trying to wave off the topic. You can't help but scoff, making her notice your distaste. She looks away. "Let's just pretend I didn't say that, I feel like a prick."

You are a fucking prick.

"Okay." You mutter, fighting every urge you have in your system to roll your eyes right now. You know she's not letting you explain yourself for a reason; she doesn't care, not one bit. She just wants to think of it the way she thinks is most entertaining.

"So, I see you're headed to the gym." Jaein quickly follows up, looking over at your outfit and the huge water bottle inside the side pocket of your backpack as if she didn't already sour this entire encounter.

"Oh, no. Not the gym." You shake your head, pulling your backpack strap back over on your shoulder as it slowly begins to slip off. "I was planning to go to the library then go for a jog." You clarify. Not that she needs an explanation, but you just want to ride this conversation through as quickly as you can.