⤷ four

four.
herbology

Her heart started to beat harder against her ribcage as she watches the shadow move around

Her heart started to beat harder against her ribcage as she watches the shadow move around. It all seemed to go so slow until Amara realised there was a way out without being caught, but it would require a lot of her concentration and strength. She just hoped Lucas would never find out about what she was about to do because she knew that if he did, he would most likely never forgive her for it.

Taking in a deep breath, she focused on changing her appearance. She looked down at her hands, which were now rather chubby and older unlike her own. Without looking at Kanisha's reaction, she stepped out of the shadows and towards the Professor, who turned towards her when he heard her.

"Mister Rodriguez?" The Professor, who Amara could now recognise as their Herbology teacher, asked. "I thought you said you really needed your sleep, instead of talking with me?"

"I couldn't sleep." Amara had never been more glad with those hours spent imitating Professor Rodriguez with Lucas, it gave her a lot more knowledge about how he talked, which was mostly just in a rude way.

"Well, then I guess I can finally say what I had to say," the Professor said, taking a step closer. With all of her focus on keeping up the appearance, she almost took a step back.

"What did you have to say?" Amara asked him, unsure of what would happen next.

"He told me to tell you that he wants it either this week or the next." She furrowed her brows as she looked at man in front of her. It could've just been about an ingredient or plant for his Herbology lesson, but he was being too secretive.

"What?" Amara asked surprised, not understanding what he was saying.

"Really, Jonas, I know you're getting old, but really?" If Amara hadn't been terrified of being caught, she would've defended Lucas' father. "The Blood of the Young, Jonas, he wants it and you're going to get it, alright?"

"I've received the message, you can go now."

She was completely lost, the Professor had said 'the Blood of the Young', whatever that was, as if his life depended on it and she wondered what Lucas' dad had gotten himself into. The thoughts must've destroyed a part of her focus as she noticed her hands beginning to look younger.

The Herbology Professor narrowed his eyes, as if he was deep in his thoughts. "We'll talk about this more tomorrow, Jonas."

"Of course, we will." Amara watched as the Herbology Professor left and let out a deep sigh when he was gone, dropping onto the floor.

"Amara?" It was Kanisha's voice. It seemed so close, yet still so far away. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just really tired."

The two girls walked towards the Thunderbird Statue with Amara leaning her head on Kanisha's shoulder, who had her arm draped around the shorter girl.

Kanisha answered the Thunderbird's statue, but Amara didn't pay any attention to it, nor to anything that was happening around her. She let herself be carried by Kanisha, feeling too tired to keep on walking. She only barely remembered laying down on her bed and falling asleep.

Amara had woken up with her clothes from last night still on, but Kanisha must've put her blanket on her, as she had been lying under one. She quickly dressed and noticed that she was the only one still in the room.

She made her way towards the Dining Hall, which was also located in the Common House. When she reached it, she noticed Kanisha sitting alone at a table. Lucas seemed to be nowhere in sight.

"Hey, Kanisha," Amara said as she said down next to Kanisha, making the girl look up.

"Hey, did you sleep well?"

Amara nodded. "Can we talk about what happened last night?"

"We'll talk about it after classes in the library, because Lucas will be back soon." Kanisha motioned towards the other side of the room, where Lucas was talking to another student. If Amara remembered correctly, it was Malia's little sister, Electra, who was a year younger than them and also a Horned Serpent, which made her think about why he would be talking to her.

"Alright, after classes," she confirmed while still keeping an eye on her best friend.

"I didn't know that changing your appearance weared you out that much because the pink hair didn't at all."

"Oh, yeah, it's bigger things that cost a lot more of energy and focus," she explained to Kanisha, who listened intently. "Changing my hair colour is barely anything, but my height however costs a lot of energy, which is why I'm still so short."

"I guess that explains it," Kanisha said, as she looked around the room. "Ah, Lucas is coming back."

"Hey, guys."

Amara turned around with a smile towards her best friend. "Well, well, Lucas, what made you talk to Malia's little sister?"

"You know she doesn't like to be called that, Amara." If she hadn't known Lucas for years, she would've shrunk away from the look he was giving her now.

"Merlin, relax."

"But what made you talk to her?" Kanisha asked him, most likely avoiding an argument between the two friends.

"I just had to ask her—" Lucas suddenly stopped talking as he stared at something. Amara followed his gaze and felt a chill run down her spine when she saw the Herbology Professor and Professor Rodriguez arguing. "Excuse me, I'm going to check on my dad."

Amara turned towards her other friend, who was already look at her. "Do you think—?"

"After classes, Amara. After classes." Kanisha told her, but she looked rather white, answering her question. They must've found out that it hadn't been Professor Rodriguez last night talking to the other Professor.

"We're in so much trouble, Kanisha," Amara said with a scared look in her eyes as she watched the Professors arguing and Lucas approaching them.

"They can't know it was you, Amara. Someone could've easily used a Polyjuice potion to look like him, probably to find out about you-know-what." She knew Kanisha was trying to comfort her, but that was quite hard as she could hear the fear in the girl's voice.

author's note !
I missed updating yesterday, so here's an extra chapter for today.