⤷ nine

nine.
the dorm

After talking to Electra in the library, Amara got back to her dorm early, hoping to be able to sneak out again that night

After talking to Electra in the library, Amara got back to her dorm early, hoping to be able to sneak out again that night. But it seemed she wasn't very lucky because when she walked into the dorm, she saw Kanisha sitting on her bed, reading a book, but from where she was standing, she couldn't see which one.

Amara tried not to pay much attention to her, focusing on picking up the book that had been lying on her bed, which she had abandoned earlier that morning.

It was one of the only books she still hadn't finished and she sneaked a glance at Kanisha and saw she was also reading a Herbology book, either rereading it or she wasn't done with all of them either. Kanisha lifted her head and Amara quickly looked away, knowing Kanisha had caught her looking.

She kept focusing on her book for a couple of minutes before she finally gave in, not being able to bear the silence anymore.

"Kanisha, can we talk?" She asked, making the other girl look up with a couple of her curly locks falling in front of her eyes.

"Sure, talk." Amara knew Kanisha had been a Slytherin before she had gone to Ilvermorny and from the stereotypes that she had heard about from other exchange students, she knew Kanisha acted like one. She hated it because in no way could Kanisha be like a stereotype, she was different than any one she had ever met.

"I'm sorry I freaked out and—" Amara was cut off by Kanisha scoffing and she realised that she had used the words 'freaking out' just like Lucas did. But what else could she call it, destroying her life, their friendship?

"And I shouldn't have done it," Amara went on. "But you don't know everything about me."

She dared to look up at Kanisha and noticed that she was sitting uninterested on her bed, but she had closed her book.

"You know I live alone with my dad, right?" Amara asked, which Kanisha nodded as answer, but Amara felt a wave of anger resurface. "Can you at least say something?"

"You wanted to talk, so you'll be the one talking, Amara."

Amara sighed at Kanisha's tactics. "Well, my mom, she was an auror, an american one, but she was sent to Scotland during the Second Wizarding War."

"Amara—" Kanisha must've realised where she was going, but this time Amara cut her off.

"She didn't want to at first because she would have to leave behind her husband and her barely one year old daughter, but she was loyal to Macusa, so she went there and never returned. She was killed by Death Eaters." Amara felt her head begin to ache, a sign that she in seconds she would most likely be crying. "I know that this doesn't excuse me for what I did, but I just—"

Amara stopped talking as she was suddenly embraced by Kanisha, who had gotten off her bed and over to Amara's. For a while, Amara just cried and let herself be comforted by Kanisha until she pulled herself back.

"I'm sorry, Kanisha," Amara said between her sniffing.

"It's okay, don't worry." Kanisha slightly rubbed Amara's back, still comforting the other girl. "Just know that I am nothing like them, Amara."

"I don't even know why I thought that," Amara said, letting out a half-forced laugh, at which Kanisha just smiled. "Have you—Have you found anything useful about you-know-what?"

"No, I found nothing in the books I've read, but I suppose you did because you went towards the restricted section a lot of times." Amara felt her cheeks heat up as she realised that Kanisha hadn't been asleep most of the times but also because it wasn't just the library.

"Well, I might've also visited that spot by the fence, even though it wasn't as beautiful as the time with you." Amara looked at the girl sitting next to her with a small smile on her face. "But in the restricted section I didn't find anything except some really nice drawings."

"Drawings?" Kanisha asked her with full disbelief. "Who would put drawings in the restricted section."

"I don't know the first one was obviously a kind of love letter, or at least that's what I like telling myself." Amara thought back towards the first drawing of the couple and of the heartbreak the woman must've gone through to obliviate the man she loved or decide to risk having the man know about it, which she had chosen to do. Then she also remembered the other drawing with a weird message on it. "The other one had a really weird message though."

"A weird message?" Kanisha asked her, furrowing her brows.

"Yeah, something about some blood being the purest." Amara turned towards Kanisha, who was looking at her with wide eyes.

"Amara, was it young blood, you know Blood of the Young?" Kanisha asked her and it dawned on Amara how stupid she had been. Kanisha must've read her expression as she muttered, "Merlin, Amara."

"We need to go to the restricted section," Amara told her as she climbed off her bed, but stopped herself and sat back on the bed. "Which we can't because it's still night."

"Honestly, did you not think 'Huh, that sounds a lot like Blood of the Young?" Kanisha asked her and might've rolled her eyes if it wasn't such a serious moment.

"I have been going there all week, can you accept that I was tired?" Amara asked, almost losing her temper.

"Relax, Amara, I'm not mad, but I think I should be going there alone tonight." Kanisha grabbed Amara's hand, making her turn to her.

Amara furrowed her brows, unsure about why Kanisha would want to stop her from going. "What?"

"You're tired and your grades are slipping, I've noticed." Kanisha looked genuinely concerned, but Amara couldn't let her go all by herself because they were friends and friends helped each other, no matter what happened.

"I'm going, Kanisha. You can do nothing to change my mind, you can only decide to come with me or stay in the dorm." Amara hoped with all her heart that Kanisha would go with her, but she would understand if she didn't because they could be expelled just for being out of bed, let alone be in the restricted section of the library.

Kanisha let out a sigh as she let go of Amara's hand. "Then that's not a very hard choice, is it? Of course, I'm going with you."

author's note !
Thank you all for reading! This one might not be the best because at the moment I'm sick at home, but I didn't know what to do so I decided to write. But I hope y'all liked it!