⤷ five

five.
the letters

The library was by far quieter than usual when the two Thunderbirds were there after classes, sitting alone at a table

The library was by far quieter than usual when the two Thunderbirds were there after classes, sitting alone at a table. They had been dreading this moment since they had decided to meet.

It had been on Amara's mind all day because it was just so hard to believe; Lucas' Dad was caught up in something that possibly couldn't be good.

Amara had been playing with her fingers until Kanisha began to speak. "So, about what happened last night..."

"What did happen?" Amara asked, wanting to know that she hadn't been hallucinating that night. "It all just happened so fast."

"Yeah," Kanisha agreed, casting her gaze to the table in front of them. "Do you have any idea what that Blood thing was?"

"No, I've never heard of it before."

Kanisha nodded and looked towards the rows of books. "You think it could be in a book?"

"In what kind of book? The Blood Book?"  Amara dryly asked, as she looked at the girl in front of her, who had sighed. "If it's in any book, it will be in the Restricted Section, which doesn't allow students."

"Yeah, you're probably right." Kanisha seemed disappointed, but tried to hide it by looking away.

"I could try to get in as Professor Rodriguez?" Amara had meant it to be a statement, but it had ended up sounding like a question.

Kanisha had stiffened in her chair. "You can't be serious, 'Mara. You know how much it wore you out last night."

"Alright," Amara said, but a part of her wasn't sure about it. "Let's just look at Herbology or Potion books, it might be an ingredient."

The two girls began searching for those books and half an hour had passed when they sat down again. In front of them were piles of books.

Amara took the book that was closest to her, but was met with disappointment. It was a book about potions, yes, but more about why it was awesome, which Amara strongly disagreed with.

Two books further and she still hadn't found anything useful. With a sigh, she closed the book.

"This is useless, Kanisha," she told the other girl, who Amara could barely see over the piles of books.

"We should still try, maybe the next will be the one." Amara saw Kanisha take another book from a pile and focused back on her own, which was a book about love potions. She scoffed, as if a Professor would want to make that.

The afternoon at the library had been useless, but the girls had still promised each other to meet there again tomorrow and also make their homework there. They had also taken some books with them, should one of them have time to read it.

The girls made their way to their dorm and when they reached it, Amara noticed two letters on her bed, the sign that the post had arrived today.

On Kanisha's bed however were no letters, not even one from the people she was staying with. That also made her realise she didn't actually know who she lived with, because her parents were gone.

"I'll leave the books here and leave you to it, okay?" Kanisha placed the book on her bed and turned to Amara.

"Alright, I'll see you later."

As Kanisha left the room, Amara took one of the letters in her hands. She opened and unrolled the letter, scanning it over.

Her eyes fell on the handwriting and she knew it was from her dad, who always sent her one every week. It wasn't really a special letter, just him talking about how it was going with him and that their grandfather had visited him with a strange story. She didn't think much about it, until she read what his story had been. Apparently a woman from his work had died, her dad didn't go in detail about it, but Amara could only imagine how gruesome it must've been.

When she opened the other letter however, she noticed it was from her best friend, Katerina, who had left for Beauxbâtons. She excitedly read through it, but was disappointed to find out it was only about her describing the castle and school and asking how it was with Lucas and at Ilvermorny.

She walked towards the only desk in the room and sat down. Putting a paper in front of her and taking a quill into her hand, she stared at it. What should she tell Katerina?

She wasn't sure, so she began writing to her dad first, saying how sorry she was for her grandfather and told him about Kanisha, who she described as her new friend who was kind and funny. But when she reached the letter that was meant for Katerina, she was at a loss for words. What should she tell her, that she had a new friend that was convincing her to break the rules? She knew that if she would do that that she wouldn't ever hear the end of how she shouldn't hang out with Kanisha and she didn't want that.

So, instead she wrote about how Lucas was doing, how it was at Ilvermorny with the new students and that she made a new friend, but she didn't go into much detail about all of it. She finished the last couple of things for the letter and when she did, she placed it under her pillow, deciding to bring it to the Owlery tomorrow morning.

Amara made her way out of the dorm, ready to search for Kanisha, which didn't end up being too hard as she found her playing Wizarding Chess with Lucas in the Common Room. She walked over to them and placed her hands on Kanisha's shoulders, making her jump a little.

"Merlin, 'Mara, don't scare me like that. I'm winning, so I need my focus." Even though Kanisha tried sounding serious, a smile was evident on her face.

"Oh, no, you're not winning, I am," Lucas said, who was smiling at them as he made his next move. "Checkmate."

"What? No!" Kanisha looked at Lucas with wide eyes, not being able to believe she just lost.

"Don't worry, Kanisha. Lucas is just good at it, which is why he likes it." Amara said, comforting Kanisha. But that failed as she couldn't help but laugh at Kanisha's surprised expression.