2. The Finn Way

"Wait... so you want to meet up near the dumb rock? Why don't we meet up at the treefort instead?" you brought up through the phone device held between your shoulder while your finishing preparing your back pack.

"Yeah, trust me the place was invaded by uh... giant slugs last night, so it's a huge mess!" Fern lied through the phone, anything to keep you away from the real Finn. "I hope you haven't eaten anything yet, cause we'll be having a nice full course meal! don't forget to bring your bat." the stated excitingly, the thought of taking you somewhere made him pretty happy, especially after hearing you chuckle through the phone.

"Sure thing, I'll just pack some trail mix and water until lunch." you nod, grabbing said items before closing your backpack. "Wait, I'm pretty sure baseball bats aren't needed for lunchtime. What are you planning? don't tell me you're gonna get us in trouble." you tease but didn't press him any further for answers. You hear him shuffle a bit behind the line before responding in a knowing tone. "Maybeee... I wouldn't wanna ruin the surprise." Fern spoke in a singsong matter.

"Alright, alright" you reply with a smile on your face, excitement bottling up inside your stomach "I'll see you in half an hour then!" you both agree before hanging up at the same time, you swiftly went to grab your favorite colored cape and prepared to head out. You could only wonder what the adventurer had in store for both of you today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You were the first to make it to the meeting spot, in the meantime you  did random things to pass the time like practicing your swings with your baseball bat or doing some cloud gazing. Fortunately the adventurer didn't leave you waiting long, by the time he arrived you were sitting on the dumb rock snacking on trail mix. "Sup" he walked up to you, hiding something behind his back. "Hey, almost got me worried there for a bit. What do ya go there?" you close the zip lock bag and tuck it away before standing with a stretch. "I stopped by to get you something, nothing too fancy but i figured it would be nice to commemorate the occasion." he admits, pulling from behind his back a minimalistic flower bouquet comprised of wildflowers, almost like he picked them up on his way here. What you didn't know was that Fern took a while to adjust into his Finn disguise, but in the meantime he picked out flowers from his hairlocks.

"Aww, how considerate. Oh shoot, but I didn't bring you anything." you lament, giving them a good whiff before tucking them in your pack, except for one that you slipped behind your ear.

"No biggie, i'm happy enough to spend the day with you," he looks down with a smile, kicking an invisible pebble. " You ready to go?" 

You hop just beside him. "Sure, you got me guessing all day. Where are we going?"

"Just follow me, it's not that far iIpromise." he smiled, aiming to grab your hand to guide you before stopping himself midway since he was insecure about how it would make you feel. You noticed Finn's hand reached out to yours but you didn't say anything about it, instead you directed your eyesight on his back where he carried his weapon of choice.

"Nice sword" you commented, a knowing smile stretching on your face as you playfully bumped his shoulder.

Fern was caught off guard by your statement until he looked behind him to check out what you meant since he was in a hurry, the light reflecting on the silver metal sword was a dead giveaway on why you were smiling all of a sudden.

It was the same sword you gave him yesterday after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like Finn said, it didn't take long for the two of you to reach your destination, it was a forest like area that wasn't was far from becoming a jungle due to the amount of foliage and plant life.