10. I am me

The force of the geyser shot you two through a tunnel at a high speed, you held tight onto Fern as he wrapped his arms protectively around you. It was dark, although you kept your eyes shut you could feel water droplets splatter on your face. Fern shut his eyes as well, but he kept one open in case anything comes up.

Fortunately for him he saw a light at the end of the tunnel, mostly likely the exit.

"Hold on." Fern said, as he held you bridal style, making and effort to stand on the lily pad. Embracing his legs to jump once they reach the end of the tunnel.

Fern didn't let the geyser take them any higher one they were out of the tunnel, jumping off the lily pad and rolling alongside the muddy ground with you in his arms.

You wiped the mud and water off yours eyes to get a good view of your surroundings. The first thing you noticed was that the ground under you was wet, no doubt because of the water sprayed by the geyser, but it was the familiar sensation of dirt and grass. Meaning that wherever you two were, it must be close to the surface level!

Fern still had his arms around you. You grinned at the grass boy, wrapping your arms over his shoulders in glee. Fern was surprised to see you return the gesture, although he meant it more as a way to  protect your fall.

"We did it!" you cheered optimistically.

"We're not dead!" Fern celebrated himself just as happy.

You looked around the new place you two were at, finding your legs to cooperate in sync despite the running you did earlier. The area was tropical in a way, there was plant life and tons of puddles of water, most likely from the constant geysers eruptions. The plant life had great variety, from purple to reds hues, but what stuck out to you the most was when you saw the occasional green plant which stuck out between the odd fauna. You calculated two plus two in your head, snapping your fingers together when you realized.

"Fern! Look at these plants. They're green, which means they have chlorophyll cells." you rambled unconsciously at a group of green plant, just confusing Fern.

"Which means...?" he added on, knowing you were up to something.

"Which means there should be sunlight nearby!" you held onto Ferns arm, pulling him in a direction where more plants are huddled together.

You two were still underground, there's no doubt about that. But the high spacious cavern ceiling provided space which didn't make you feel claustrophobic unlike the previous areas you two were in. You tried to look up and find a hole in the ceiling that can guide you two out of this level of the cavern, but you couldn't distinguish it from the amount of cracks.

"Dang it. I know there should be sunlight for you around here somewhere." you said desperately.

Fern placed a hand on your shoulder, pulling your attention from the ceiling to him.

"(y/n), you've already done so much for me, but now, you deserve a rest." the plant boy said sympathetically.

You were torn between the grass boy and the green plants you saw earlier. You wanted to help him out by finding a stable source of food for him, but the more you thought about it the more you started to realize how tired your body is and how much your legs ache.

"You're right. I feel beat after the whole boar thing." you admitted. "Where can we sit down for a few minutes?" you asked Fern for his opinion to which he held a hand to his chin, deep in thought.

"I have an idea." he said, carefully grabbing your hand and guiding you to the wetlands were you two popped up. "What is the boiling point for water?" he asked you, giving you a slight idea of what his idea was.