5. Everything Breaks

His thoughts were spiraling inside his head like a tornado, one chasing after another, lifting him up from his feet unable to let him settle on firm land and come to a reasonable conclusion. His knees were weak, palms were sweaty, like mom's spaghetti, but he was already set on the decision he made hours ago it was just a matter of time til he'd have (or Finn more specifically) broke up with you eventually.

Sure Fern didn't like the idea at first, but it was necessary.

"Finn are you alright-?"

Your voice snapped the grass boy out of his deep rooted thoughts, his eyes falling on the picnic basket in his hand and the worried look on your face, it took him a second to remember where he was and what he was doing.

"Oh yeah just wondering if we brought enough food, i'm starving" Fern replied to you in a nonchalantly manner as to ease your worry, he was in his Finn disguise once more but he hoped this would be the last time he'd use it in your presence.

You smiled innocently which only stirred his stomach even more.

 "Hey it's alright, we brought enough sandwiches to live off in the wild for days" was your way of reassuring him although you could tell there was something else bothering him. Before you could bring up the topic again your eyes landed on the lovely flower beds you two pass by. 

"This place is very pretty, don't you think?" You tried to change the conversation for the sake of making the walk uphill more smooth "Honey Bee hill looks it's best at this time of the year, flowers blooming bees minding their own business by pollinating-" this is why you wanted to come to this place specifically honey bee hill was 

Fern blushed a bit a the memory he shared with Finn of Breezy 'pollinating' his flower arm.

He coughed into his fist to clear his throat before adding "So this is why you wanted to come and picnic here?" he asked you, tightening his grip on the picnic basket.

"Yeup, plus i felt it would be nice to spend some time together other than fighting with others... or being asked weird questions at parties that you avoid" you 

The boy raised an eyebrow when you brought up a party, noticing how you your body shifted away from him and your eyes looked in his oposite direction, where you referring to the one at the tree house a while ago?

"What do you mean?" 

At first you were hesitant, like you didn't want to talk about it but eventually it was something you had to bring up, your footsteps becoming slower as Fern in his Finn disguise tried to keep up at your pace.

"Well, i feel i'm probably overreacting to things but... last week at Jake's party i couldn't help but feel like you were keeping your distance from me, as if that kiss and all the time we spent together didn't happen at all. It's like you were another person" Your face became a little upset at the thought but you continued nevertheless, halting your footsteps altogether as you faced the boy in front of you.

"I know it's only been a few weeks since we've been dating but it feels like we are just doing it secretly. Like, i'm not asking for you to shout to all of Ooo that we're dating but it just, hurts you know? the way you acted at the party, like i was just another one of your dude bros. Are you embarrassed to be seen with me?" 

Fern had a great respect for you as an adventurer and a person, you were unmovable and firm like a mountain, nothing ever got to you ranging from people's opinion of you or the most threatening of monsters. So the insecurity the felt from you right now was new to him, he felt empathetic towards you since he was a confident swordsman but not as a person in general, he wanted to comfort you, reassure you that he was happy and honored to have you by his side both romantically and as an adventuring comrade- however, he also saw this as his chance.