6. Guilt Trip

He didn't feel angry.

or upset.

Fern was aware of his actions, he knew what he was doing was wrong, yet he continued with his plan despite the consequences he had to face.

And here he was, paying the price of his actions. Currently laying sprawled across the tree top for over a week now, the grass boy didn't move an inch as the tragic day replay in his head over and over again questioning himself if there was a different outcome, regretting the decision he made on picking that specific hill, wondering what it would've been like if he was honest from the start.

Fern shook his head lightly.

He kept dwelling into those 'what if' scenarios, but deep down he knew that slumbering in the past was pointless. Whatever was done, was done. He can't take back anything he said or did so all that was left was to let things flow.

No matter how much he wanted you two to be happy together, it wasn't something he could force onto you.

Finn and Jake peeked at the grass boy from the attic door. It was easy for them to notice Fern's sudden shift in behavior, especially since his good mood gave an unexpected 180° and left the grass boy unmotivated and gloomy. 

"I should talk to him." Finn said worryingly. Being the kind heart he is, wanted to comfort Fern like an older brother would. But when he took a step towards the grass boy, Jake strecthed a hand to press it against him chest, stopping him from moving another step.

"I dunno dude. I've seen him get all gummed up inside before, it's best to leave him alone or now." Jake suggested, leaving a frown on his brother's face.

"But he needs us." Finn insisted.

 "He needs time alone."

Finn's frown turned into a pout at Jake's words, eliciting a sigh from the dog. "Dude, trust me as an older brother. No matter what you say it'll just fall on deaf ears. Give him some time." the oldest of the two reasoned.

Finn looked back at Fern, his grass brother. But who was he to doubt Jake's experience.

"You're right man." The human boy sighs in defeat. Finn didn't want to admit it, but the memory of the time he felt gummed up inside with what happened with princess bubblegum was enough to convince him. "Fern, if you need anything we're going to stay at the tree house all day, alright?" Finn called out to Fern before leaving, earning a simple groan from the grass boy as he continued to wallow.

-------

Fern had his eyes closed as he sighs for the 100th time that day

He heard footsteps come his way until a shadow cast over his face, blocking the sunlight from his gloomy green face.

"I said I wanted to be left alone guys." Fern spoke automatically without even opening his eyes, assuming Finn or Jake came up to check on him again.