6. With truth ahead our eyes

Victor led the group through the forest, lighting up the way with his lantern. He didn't talk much and only prompted them to hurry up. According to him, they weren't far from their destination.

Surely enough, it didn't take very long before the light first dropped onto silhouettes that appeared to be small buildings, similar to the cabins that Layne had only seen in camping sites before.

As they got closer, however, the houses didn't look so appealing anymore. Made out of old timber, they seemed like they'd fall apart upon a stronger gust of wind. As having worked in construction sites before, Layne could only bite his lips seeing so many faults in the way the cabins were built.

It looked as if Victor could guess what he was thinking. "Don't worry, I know it looks unstable but nothing bad has ever happened before."

"Nothing bad ever happens until it does," muttered Layne.

The stranger chuckled. "Until then, it keeps us safe. They're stronger than they look, by the way. Held well for decades already and we have seen some pretty bad storms."

He stopped in front of one of the cabins and knocked at the door. A soft voice responded, "come in."

"We don't have free cabins but this one can hold exactly six more people," commented Victor before opening the door. "You'll love Iker and Zander. They are both such sweet boys. Let's just hope you won't corrupt them." He gave the group a smile and motioned them inside.

One after another, Rejects walked into the cabin. Layne was pleasantly surprised by how warm it was. The flames crackling in a brick furnace explained it. Not only did they emit warmth, they were also the only source of light. Another quick glance around revealed the cabin consisting of one room only and having no windows. Two young looking guys sat on pallets covered in rough-looking material. In total, eight of them were arranged along the back wall.

As soon as everyone were inside, Victor followed in and closed the door behind him. Surrounded by proper light, he looked older than Layne would have expected from his proud but perky posture. Now it became apparent that his hair, longer than that of Layne's and freely dropping down his shoulders, were silver coloured, the same as the full beard, which partly covered up the wrinkles on his face.

"Iker, Zander," he addressed the boys, "these are the new Rejects. They'll be your roommates."

Iker and Zander looked at all six of them separately, then each other. Both looked uncomfortable, one of their lower lips were shaking. Layne couldn't have been more surprised by how similar they looked – both petite in size with equally black hair, even same round facial features. They had to be related. Even Layne and Levi didn't look quite that alike.

"I'm sure you'll get along," said Victor and turned to the group. "You must be so confused. The darn Carriers never explain anything."

They nodded. The elder gestured at the pallets and everyone picked one to sit on. Troy took the furthest one by the wall. Without thinking much, Layne sat on the one beside him. After Remy, Coden and Malia picked all the ones closer to Iker and Zander, Alana dropped herself next to Layne with a sour expression.

Victor pulled out a stool from under the table. One of its legs were crooked and it made a squeaky noise when the man sat on it.

"You must have heard of the Land of Rejected. It was a popular 'scary story', back when I was still in Eumain."

"Figures," Layne gave Alana a smile.

She frowned and turned away from him. "So you're gonna tell us that the 'scary story' is somehow true, huh?"