19. Instead we crouched defeated

A new cross protruded from the ground, in front of the most recent grave. Coden's carving read 'Troy Normand' and it was the fanciest cross in the whole over-filled graveyard. The place still sunk in the long morning shadows. Still, the humid air with the smell of dew and resin evened out the atmosphere. In the end, there was nothing more but peace.

Layne smiled when looking at it. It was the right memorial. The one Troy deserved. The one he was worth, being the person that he was.

It's been a few weeks since they started taking turns in watching the well. So far, they have been unsuccessful. Layne, however, kept his hopes high. For the first time, he had a whole group of people on his side and that could only mean good.

"You rest in peace," he whispered. "We got everyone working together, now. We'll figure out what's up with that stranger and if they're really as dangerous as Victor says. And won't forget about you, either. I'll make sure of it."

He spent a good amount of time by the grave before he turned around and navigated through the crosses, careful not to knock them over.

Even so early in the morning, the village was already alive. People working or just hanging out together, having fun. Victor was explaining something to a few newcomers, all with his signature smile and proud posture. Layne had the urge to go over there and call him out for his shit. That, of course, would have gotten him into trouble again. Not very good for their plan. So, he turned towards the cabin instead.

Only Coden was inside. Laying on his pallet, he was staring at a piece of paper with an empty expression. Didn't look like he even noticed Layne entering.

"Who's on watch?" he asked.

Coden startled and his the paper under his pillow. "Remy and Iker."

"Good." Layne sat on Remy's pallet, right in front of Coden. "So what were you looking that?"

"Nothing. It's ugh... It's nothing."

He didn't have the time to do anything as Layne slid his hand under his pillow and grabbed the thick paper piece.

"Hey, privacy!" Coden protested.

"Nah, you're not getting that here. Be glad, I have Malia to deal with."

It was a photograph. A pale, freckled boy with light blue eyes and red hair was standing right beside a girl. With her dark complexion, eyes that appeared as if they were black and massive, charcoal coloured hair, the contrast between them was striking. Even the lighting of the photo was set up in a way to enlarge the difference between these two children.

"Is that you?" Layne frowned as he examined the little boy in the photo. "You were... Rounder, back then."

Coden burst out laughing. "Yeah, I was. Got the photo from Roxie, the first time we got packages from Eumain. It's the from the day that we've met."

"What, really?"

"Yeah. Roxie had this professional photographer relative who loved taking her photos but then she had a photoshoot idea that involved another child. You know, someone as pale as possible. For contrast. So, they posted an ad, looking for one," he explained. "I had no friends. Only self-esteem problems. So, my grandma saw it as an opportunity to help me. So, we met. And it turned out she was an orphan, like me. We kinda immediately hit it off."

As soon as Coden was done with his story, Malia burst into the cabin. She froze at the doorstep, looked at the two men, then, her eyes wandered to the photo.

"What are you two doing?" she wondered.

"I'm just checking out an old photo of Coden and his girlfriend," said Layne. "Take a look, they're adorable."