12. What may have been our end

The bench was nothing more than a plank, resting on two tree stumps. One wrong move would have made the whole construction fall apart. Someone could have gotten hurt. Not that they cared.

Coden sat facing the forest. He wouldn't talk much about the incident a couple days ago, or at all. United with Remy, they also made Layne and Troy promise not to tell anyone about it. Although Layne couldn't find a good reason for that, he also didn't know one for telling just about anyone – the only person he would have told already knew, anyway. So, that wasn't a problem.

The only thing wrong was how little information did they have. Coden only told them that they saw someone that appeared to be a woman by the well. As soon as they saw each other, she ran off to direction away from the village. They didn't even have a good look. Remy, of course, froze. Coden couldn't go after her with his ankle still hurting. Layne, however, was pretty sure that even if it didn't, Coden just wouldn't have been brave enough. Couldn't blame him for that, too. He was the youngest Reject around, pretty much still a kid.

Layne watched him sit for a while before deciding to join. He was aware that Coden didn't like him all that much, but then again, not that many people did. Coden glanced at him but didn't say a word.

"Don't tell me that seeing some woman shook you so much," said Layne. "Of all that could have happened, this seems like one of the least traumatizing events in the world."

Coden frowned. "It didn't 'shake' me. I'm just wondering, maybe I should tell Victor. What if this is important?"

"I'm sure he knows, Cody."

"Coden. You enjoy doing this to me, don't you?"

"Yeah, maybe." Layne grinned. Coden's frown got deeper and he turned away. "Anyway, remember when we first got here, Victor told us about people who don't play by the rules here?"

"He said they have to leave."

"Ten points to Cody."

"Layne... Just shut up."

"I don't do shutting up, Coden. Now, you think she could be one of those people?"

"Maybe... But they have to live somewhere, right? Wouldn't have survived otherwise."

"Finally you're starting to think like me."

Coden jolted his head to look through his shoulder and slowly brought it back to the previous position. He didn't say anything. From his cold, even scared expression, Layne could tell whose footsteps were nearing them from behind.

"What do you want?" he grumbled.

"Just checking in on you two," Victor responded with the same proud voice as always. One didn't have to look to know he was smiling. "Everything's alright? You look down."

"All's fine." Layne forced out a smile and threw his legs to the other side of the bench to face the elder. "You can go back to your own business now."

"Are you sure? Because I thought I heard you two talk."

"Well, don't you hear everything? Can't two people have a private conversation?"

Coden turned around as well. His lips were twitching. Layne gave him a warning look, hoping he wouldn't tell Victor anything – for everyone's safety, as he thought. That man was not to be trusted.

To Layne's disappointment, Coden began talking. "I was out by the well to bring water. There was someone there."

"Someone there?" Victor raised his eyebrows. "You mean one of us?"