32. When stabbed in our chests

Even after he regained his senses, Layne continued laying in place and listening, although nothing in his mind made sense. His head was still hurting and his ears were ringing. Upon trying to move, even a little, the pain intensified and he felt light-headed. He wasn't going anywhere, even if he wanted to – and he wasn't quite sure if he wanted to. He wasn't quite sure where was he or what was going on around him.

A disgusting scent reached his nostrils and he frowned. He couldn't quite put together what could that smell have been, he didn't remember sensing anything like it, ever in his life. He knew he wouldn't want to, ever again, as well.

Upon focusing, he made out the sounds of people walking around, loud crackling some silent talking, along with a few stray thuds there and then.

He just couldn't stop thinking of the damned smell.

Even after he opened his eyes, his vision remained blurry and dark circles surrounded the view. It took a while until he saw a man laying a few meters away from him. It was Adan. He was awake as well, their eyes met for a moment but they didn't acknowledge that. Adan looked up and his expression filled with pain. Layne followed his gaze and barely not gasped.

In the centre of the village was drowning in flames, even the sky had turned red as their tongues reached high up in the air. Everything was on fire. And it wouldn't take long to spread into the forest. Then, everything would be over. The whole Land would burn.

Layne stared at it until he realised he's been wrong. Everything wasn't on flames. Only an enormous fire pit in the middle of a clean area. He didn't have the time to be glad, however, as the next thing he saw was a man dragging a lifeless body of a woman. A familiar woman. Mary. He knew then what was the only possible source of that awful smell and he refused to keep looking.

Layne thought he was fading in and out but from his surroundings, much time hasn't passed. Adan was still in the same spot, now trying to stand up on his hands and knees.

"Alright, we're almost done here," a voice announced. Layne flinched as he recognised Victor. "Start searching the forest, I'll finish up the rest by myself."

After a subtle wave of muttering, footsteps started fading away and there was nothing else left but the haunting crackling of that goddamn fire and the ringing in the ears. Then, heavy steps approached and next thing he knew, black boots stopped beside Adan and kicked him down on the ground again. The man let out a long moan and looked up at his attacker. Layne didn't have to do that. He knew. He chose not to look at him.

"See, told you. You didn't stand a chance if we decided to take you down," Victor snarled. "Should have stayed on my side, I really did not want for us to turn against each other."

"Victor," Adan whispered. "We've had a deal. You were supposed to leave us be."

"Leave you be for how long, Adan? Until you and your goddamn traitors started causing more trouble than a few simple talks could solve? Until you decided to rise against us?"

"It's wrong, what you're doing. You know that. You're controlling people with fear."

"That's the point, though, isn't it? Fear works. Fear makes it so that all of the Eumain Rejects could actually live in peace without murdering each other."

"Until now. Until you turned your own people into murderers, even if they've never done a serious crime before."

"That was necessary. The only way for everyone in the Land to become one united community. What about all those people you've chased away to die alone, Adan?"

"What about the women you've murdered after they've been impregnated, raped by the men you trusted with leadership? Couldn't let anyone find out, could you?"