8. Just to fall down again

Layne stood in place and held the broom handle as a sword. The flame at the tip of his candle didn't provide much light. It only danced around and struggled to keep itself lit through the fierce weather.

The sound of the wind howling, together with the rustling of the tree leaves it created, could almost overbear the sounds of the animals. One strong gust ended the life of the tiny fire Layne had tried so hard to keep safe. He muttered a few swear words and tossed the candle away. It plummeted down somewhere in the bushes and that was the end of it.

Heavy breathing of the man accompanied one intimidating animal scream. Regardless, he pushed himself to move forwards, almost welcoming his incoming fate. Even so, Layne did not wish to die. He wished to disprove the need for fear.

"Layne!" The wind carried Troy's voice around. "Layne, where are you?"

Layne pressed his lips shut. Troy was acting stupid, he thought. Yelling around with those 'man-eating' animals hunting nearby. He might have as well called the beasts for dinner. Still, Layne did pretty much the same thing. If something happened to the large man, it would have been his fault. Again.

"Troy," he whispered, turning to the direction he thought the call was coming from.

"Layne?"

Layne ran until a figure emerged right ahead his vision. It was Troy. Unmistakably. "Don't be so loud."

"What the hell has gotten into you?" His hand landed on Layne's shoulder and pressed it tight, like an adult disciplining a child. It felt like that, too. "Do you must do the stupidest thing anyone could ever think of?"

Layne shook his head. "You shouldn't have come after me."

"Seriously? I'm not gonna just let someone die." Troy's voice wavered.

Layne gulped. For the time being, neither of them said anything. They stood facing each other, even though their features were covered by the dark. A loud howl shook the air once again.

"Let's go back," insisted the bald man.

"You do that."

However, that was not an offer. Troy's free hand snatched Layne's upper arm. He tugged him to the direction of the cabin. Even if at first the guy dug his heels into the ground and leaned back, it didn't give any result. He stopped resisting and peacefully entered the cabin. He did, after all, realise he was acting just as mature as his niece would.

Everyone still sat on their pallets, wide-eyed.

"Oh thank god!" exclaimed Alana. "What the heck, Layne?"

Layne glared at her and laid down on his empty sleeping spot. Alana looked at Troy, who then shook his head.

The rest of the night was sleepless.

* * *

Layne laid on his pallet wide-eyed and waited for everyone to leave for... Whatever they'd be doing in the morning. He refused to talk to anyone or answer any questions. After all, he had no reasonable explanation for what happened last night. He acted in an impulse. Like an idiot. Like an animal.

Troy, however, would not leave. He sat on his own bed and stared at the wall right in front of him, sometimes giving Layne a glare or two. The man wondered if it was only his imagination or did he really see Troy's hands shiver.

"So what's up with you?" he asked.

Troy rose his eyebrows and looked him in the eyes. "You're really asking me that?"