iii. the vindictive work of fate

CHAPTER THREE:THE VINDICTIVE WORK OF FATE

CHAPTER THREE:
THE VINDICTIVE WORK OF FATE

■ ■ ■ ■

THE ROOM FELL SILENT upon their arrival. Four vampires were waiting inside, three of which lounged across extravagant golden thrones. Verona shuddered as their eyes met hers, vibrant crimson meeting pure gold. They were young in appearance, but she knew not to question their knowledge and experience from their expanse of time in existence. She was nothing compared to them, and everyone in the room knew it.

Her eyes were lingering on the three leaders when it happened. She was deconstructing the situation and the possible outcomes of their confrontation when her heart started to grow heavy in her chest, like it was being weighed down by the calling of another, a thread connecting them together. She frowned, her eyes scanning the room, only to lock eyes with another. Alec was his name. She'd heard about him from her family, how he was the twin to the blonde that was leading them into the room, how he could take away the senses with as much ease as breathing. He was the definition of someone powerful, and that alone sent chills of fear racing down her spine.

Be that as it may, time seemed to slow down around her. She blinked, pieces of ice cascading from her heart, sending her into a spiral of confusion. Something had changed when she walked through those doors, locking eyes with that boy who couldn't be older than sixteen when it came to his appearance. She wasn't sure why, but her heart was singing a melodious tune, drawing her closer to him. Alice gasped from where she stood beside her, eyes flickering to the ground when Verona turned to look at her with a frown. Edward was the only one to notice their interaction, a frown of his own forming as a conversation blossomed between the twins.

"Sister," Alec grinned, oblivious for the moment. "They send you out to get one and you bring back three." Verona's heart soared, but she paid it no attention as he eyed the human in their mix with distaste. "And a half." He let out a chuckle, grin growing wider. "Such a clever girl."

"Oh, what a happy surprise." Aro wore a wide grin as he rose from his throne, arms outstretched in an attempt to seem welcoming. "Bella is alive after all, isn't that wonderful?" Verona watched as he crossed the room, coming to a stop just a few feet away from them, eyes wide with awe. "I love a happy ending."

Bella gasped as her hand was wrenched from her boyfriend's, Edward's expression remaining blank as Aro gripped his hand, stone against stone as one of the three rulers used his gift, listening to the thoughts rushing through his mind. Verona watched everything unfold, waiting for something else to happen.

"They're so rare; La Tua Cantante." Aro's eyes flickered towards the human standing before him, interest twisting his features. "Her blood appeals to you so much, it makes me thirsty." Edward's eyes narrowed into slits, but he didn't speak. "How can you stand to be so close to her?"

"It's not without hardship."

"Oh, I can see that."

Aro's attention turned back to their touching hands, his fingers splaying across the expanse of skin with a keen sense of interest. Bella watched him in confusion, frowning. Edward turned his head to the side, but refused for their eyes to meet as he whispered, "Aro can read every thought someone has had with just one touch." Aro's eyes met his again, stern and unforgiving. "And now you know everything, so get on with it."