xv. at a crossroad

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:AT A CROSSROAD

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
AT A CROSSROAD

■ ■ ■ ■

"I'M GOING TO BE honest, I have no idea where to start," Verona announced, scattered bursts of laughter following her words. Before her, a sea of wedding guests sat around several circular tables, human and supernatural creatures alike staring up at her as they waited for her to begin the speeches to the bride and groom. For a moment, she was quiet, gnawing on her lower lip as she thought of everything she wanted to say, uncensored, to her brother and his wife.

"Edward has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember." She met her brother's eyes, a shy grin tugging at her lips as he gave her an encouraging nod, returning her smile. "While we aren't related by blood, he's the best brother I could ask for." She was interrupted by Emmett making a sharp sound of betrayal, to which the crowd burst into laughter again. "Sorry, Jasper and Emmett, but everyone knows it true." 

They gave genuine smiles then, leaning back in their seats and gesturing for her to continue. They both knew that Verona loved them regardless of her jokes, and while they were close, each and every one of Verona's siblings knew she had a special place in her heart for Edward, and they respected that.

"Edward was there for me in my darkest hours. Every second of every day, he stayed by my side and supported me. We've had our ups and downs, believe me." Alec's face lingered in the back of her mind, and a pang of sadness struck her hard, but she was quick to push the emptiness away as she met her brother's eyes again. "But no matter what, we've always had each other's backs, and I can't thank him enough for that." 

She turned to look at his wife then, the doe-eyed human watching her husband and sister with fondness morphing her features. "Bella, I know we didn't see eye-to-eye at the beginning, but I'd like to think we've grown closer these past couple of months. You mean a great deal to my brother, and whether he admits it or not, he'd be lost without you by his side. You make him the happiest that any of us have ever seen him, and in turn, that makes us happy, just seeing him get his perfect ending." She inhaled an unneeded breath into her hollow chest, raising her flute of champagne in the air and gesturing for everyone else to do the same. "So without further ado, I would like to propose a toast to my brother and his new wife. To Edward and Bella."

"To Edward and Bella."

■ ■ ■ ■

IT WAS LATER IN the evening, and the reception was in full swing. The speeches had long-since ended and people were now scattered around the yard, deep in conversation or dancing to the music that flowed through the speakers. Verona was on her own, just watching everything unfold, an untouched champagne glass still gripped in her hands. Above her, a set of fairy lights were twinkling against the dark sky, casting a warm glow on the scenery below. Catching the eyes of a nearby group of humans, who were watching her with curiosity, she shot them an awkward smile, raising the glass of champagne to her lips and pretending to sip from it as she waited for them to look away. In that time, someone had made their way over to her, their muscular frame casting a never-ending shadow over her.