xvii. her greatest sacrifice

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:HER GREATEST SACRIFICE

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
HER GREATEST SACRIFICE

■ ■ ■ ■

VERONA SHOULD'VE KNOWN IT was too good to be true. That no matter how hard they tried, she and Alec were destined for different things. It took one simple phone call, one cry for help from her sister to destroy everything that Verona and Alec had been building for themselves.

It was a fine morning in the city of Volterra. Two weeks had gone by since Verona came to see Alec, and those fourteen days together were the happiest they'd been in a very long time. Verona's hesitance to start their relationship again had long since faded, replaced by a smoldering spark of hope that maybe, just maybe, they were on the right track again. But hope was a foolish feat for someone like her. Every time she hoped for something, she crashed and burned in the aftermath, and this time around was no different.

Alec had been summoned by Aro, Marcus and Caius earlier that morning, much to his annoyance. He hadn't spent a second away from Verona since she arrived, wanting to give them another chance. He didn't want to leave her alone, but he knew he had no choice. So he went, promising Verona that he'd meet her in town sometime that afternoon to show her the best hunting spots for her golden-eyed diet. She'd gone on ahead for a bit of sightseeing, wanting to make the most of her trip away, as the last time she'd been in Italy, she hadn't had much of a chance to stop and enjoy the scenery. That was when the call came. At first, she didn't know what to think when she saw that Bella was the one ringing her. She knew the brunette wasn't due back from her honeymoon for another week, so why she was contacting her, she wasn't sure. Swallowing nervously, she stepped away from the busy street, her hands trembling as she clicked the answer option and pressed the phone to her ear.

"Bella," she greeted, her voice light yet strained. "It's good to hear from you. How's your honeymoon?"

"Verona." Bella's voice shook with terrified sobs, and immediately, Verona was concerned. Something had happened. Just when she thought everything was turning out okay, things went wrong again. "Verona, I need your help."

"What is it?" she frowned, almost afraid to hear the answer. "You know you can tell me anything, Bella."

"I'm pregnant," she cried, barely able to get the words out. "I'm pregnant, and I want to keep the baby, but Edward wants it out of me and I don't know what to do."

Bella was pregnant? The words echoed over and over again in Verona's head. It just wasn't possible. Female vampires couldn't have children, so it was assumed that male vampires couldn't impregnate either. But they were wrong, it seemed, so very wrong. And now they were paying the price.

"Bella, you need to calm down," Verona breathed, forcing the confusion and fear from her voice as her sister continued to cry. "Panicking isn't doing you or the baby any good right now." She paused, sparing another glance at the busy street around her. She couldn't afford for anyone to overhear her. "Look, just tell me where you are. Are you on your way home?"