vii. ignorance is bliss

CHAPTER SEVEN:IGNORANCE IS BLISS

CHAPTER SEVEN:
IGNORANCE IS BLISS

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

BELLA'S HOUSE HAD BEEN the subject of a break and enter. It was later in the day, after everything that happened at school, and everyone had gathered in the living room to discuss the turn of events. Edward had demanded a family meeting after he caught an unknown vampire's scent in Bella's bedroom, and the two were set to arrive at any moment, along with Emmett and Jasper, who'd gone in search of the intruder. Verona was just taking a seat beside Alice when they returned.

"Who was it?" Carlisle asked. "Someone we know?"

"Just a stranger," Edward muttered, simmering with anger. "I didn't recognise his scent."

"A nomad passing through?" Esme murmured with concern in her eyes.

"Bella's father wouldn't be alive if it was someone passing through. They would've killed him or turned him into one of us," Verona shook her head, brows furrowed in thought. "It has to be someone else."

Carlisle nodded along with her, realisation hitting him. "Someone's orchestrating this."

"Victoria?" Bella frowned, her stomach twisting at the thought of the vampire who'd been after her for months. When was she going to give up?

"I would've seen her decide," Alice told her.

"Then it has to be the Volturi," Edward sighed.

Verona's eyes immediately narrowed, her head snapping towards him. Their argument from earlier was still fresh on her mind, and the fact that he was bringing up her mate's coven didn't help the matter either. Her anger was vibrant, and quickly growing the more she thought about the situation. She clenched her hands into fists, biting down on her lower lip to keep from blurting out an annoyed remark. Instead, she cursed him in her head, watching as he glowered at her out of the corner of his eye before turning back to their anxious family.

"I don't think it's them either."

Alice reached out to place a hand on Verona's arm, sensing her distress without even having to look at her. Verona accepted the touch without protest, breathing out a sigh as she looked down at her hands, allowing her tense muscles to slacken. The two of them had always been that way, able to sense when the other was feeling something; whether it be happiness or sadness or anger. They'd been best friends for over a century; they knew everything there was to know about each other, and that time around was no different.

"I've been watching their decisions too."

"So we keep looking then," Emmett shrugged, as if the answer to the issue was obvious.

"Bella's house needs to be guarded," Carlisle told them, already making plans. "We should start taking shifts to watch her."

"Another protection detail?" Rosalie scoffed as she stared at their father in annoyance.