xx. reborn

CHAPTER TWENTY:REBORN

CHAPTER TWENTY:
REBORN

■ ■ ■ ■

BELLA CULLEN'S FADING HEARTBEAT echoed in Verona's ears as she, Alice and Jasper stood staring into the forest. In an unspoken agreement, the trio had put aside the tension between them, knowing that the fate of their coven was more important than their differences. While Edward and Jacob were inside trying to revive Bella as Rosalie took care of Renesmee, the others were rushing back from their hunt to help them fight against the pack. No one wanted to fight them; they considered the wolves their allies, not enemies. But when it came down to it, they'd do whatever they needed to. Even if that meant the loss of an allegiance that had lasted for several decades.

"They're coming," Verona breathed, dropping into a defensive crouch as the harsh thump of paws against soil overpowered Edward and Jacob's fighting voices. Alice and Jasper copied her actions, Seth and Leah's wolves slinking out of the shadows to join them. But even with their assistance and the support of Carlisle, Esme and Emmett once they returned, the wolves would outnumber them. The pack was continuously growing, and Sam was the type of leader that rushed into battle with anyone willing to fight for him. It would be a miracle if they managed to defeat the pack, especially with the added pressure of Renesmee's birth.

Verona's eyes darted from the forest as the house behind her went quiet, Bella's heartbeat ceasing completely as Edward let out a pained cry and Jacob shouted in anger. Verona wasn't given the chance to grieve, however, as the wolves burst into the yard with fearsome snarls. They didn't hesitate to launch towards them, and so the fight began.

Verona and a brown-furred shifter she remembered to be Jared Cameron collided in a mess of fur and marble. Jared bit and scratched at her with relentless fervor, his sharp claws leaving cracks along her skin as Verona's hands yanked at his fur, causing him to howl and leap away from her. He was quick to turn to Jasper, who had crashed into his side from where he'd been fighting Embry Call. Verona breathed a sigh as she glanced around the yard; Carlisle, Esme and Emmett had arrived, but even with their help, the coven was struggling to keep the pack at bay.

Verona's wide eyes locked on Alice's tiny frame, which was pressed under Quil Ateara's furry figure. She rushed towards them, shooting Edward a sorrowful glance as he joined the fight, his sights set on Sam. Alice gasped in momentary relief as Verona latched onto Quil's back, the two sisters teaming up to defeat him. He struggled against their advances, but was quick to give in, lying there panting in exhaustion.

"You good?" Verona asked, gripping Alice's arm as she gasped for instinctive air.

"Yeah," Alice nodded, shooting a regretful look down at Quil's injured form. "You?"