Chapter 2

The next morning, the kids were downstairs in the kitchen eating their cereal for breakfast when Krypto walked in. 

"Morning, Krypto" Jane greeted the white lab while cleaning dishes. 

"How was patrol last night?" Brock asked. 

Krypto then remembered when he got home last night the family was already asleep, so he didn't get to tell them what happened and wondered if he should now. 

"Well..." The superdog wondered where he should start. "I was down at Town Hall, where one of the labs caught on fire" 

"Oh, my!" The whole Harpercop family seemed shocked. 

"Anything else?" Ann asked. 

"I met this beagle who had escaped from the lab, and saved him from a couple of alley dogs" Krypto continued. "Until he was taken home by this man who looked like a police officer" 

"Dan Unger?" Kali spoke up, putting the pieces of Krypto's info together. 

"You know him?" Krypto asked the tomboy with the yellow bandanna. 

"Yeah, Dan Unger used to be the best cop in the force, until he retired. I know his son Jack from school" Kali explained. "They live just right down the street a couple blocks from here" 

"Hmm" Krypto thought for a moment before telling the family. "I think I'm gonna go check up on that beagle and see how he's adjusting" 

"That's really nice of you, Krypto" Jane smiled to the white lab. 

"Why don't I stop by after school and meet this beagle myself" Kali told Krypto, now becoming interested. 

"Okay, see you later" Krypto told her, heading for the dog door. 

"Bye, Krypto" Kali said as he headed out the dog door and she got ready for school. 

Krypto then left the backyard of the Harpercop household and started walking down the street of the neighborhood. After passing a few blocks, Krypto came up to this one house. He could smell the beagle out in the backyard, knowing this was definitely the place. 

Krypto came behind to the back of the house, poking his head through a lose fence board in the backyard and saw the man, who Kali had described as Dan Unger with the beagle. 

"Yeah, you're a good dog. Can you sit for me?" Dan asked the beagle. 

Krypto smiled, watching them when he then looked up after hearing the back door open and Dan's son then came out. 

"Hey, Jack" Dan said to his son and showed him the beagle. "Look"

"You bought a dog?" Jack asked, coming over. 

"No, I didn't buy him" Dan shook his head and explained. "I, uh, I found him on the street" 

"He's cute, isn't he?" Dan told his son. "I thought maybe we'd go for walks, take him on a hike"

"Hikes?" Jack said with sarcasm. "Oh, fun"

The beagle then came over and started licking Dan's shoes again. 

"Hey, look at that" Dan chuckled. 

"I think we should call him... Shoeshine" Dan told Jack, giving the beagle a name. 

"Well, considering all the other things he probably licks, I think that's the best call" Jack replied, not really liking the dog.  

Dan soon frowned to his son. "Jack, I just thought he would be good for you. Take your mind off a few things"