Chapter 8

The next day, Kali and Krypto came out to meet with Jack and Shoeshine at Molly's house near the park about the past break ins. 

"Where were you last night?" Krypto asked as he came over to Shoeshine. 

"I don't sniff and tell" the beagle smirked, implying that he did something pretty great last night.  

Polly then came out and approached the two male dogs. 

"Hey, Polly" Krypto greeted with a smile. 

"How's it going?" Shoeshine asked the cavalier spaniel.  

"Shoeshine, Krypto, you wouldn't believe the date I had last night" Polly said. "It was so amazing!"

"Yeah, it was" Shoeshine sighed dreamily until Krypto nudged him slightly in the shoulder, realizing what he just said.

"What?" Polly questioned. 

"I mean, it was?" Shoeshine asked.  

"Can you two keep a secret?" Polly whispered. "I went out with Underdog" 

"Wow, really?" Krypto said before looking over at Shoeshine with a smirk, the beagle smiled playfully back at his mentor.  

"I hear he's shorter in person" Shoeshine said to Polly about Underdog.  

"He is not. He's quite strapping" Polly explained. "And such a charmer" 

Meanwhile, Jack showed Molly a map of the sewer system he got from his dad. Having shown Kali and the others a drainage pipe that could have access directly from the lab into the sewer where Barsinister was somewhere. 

Everyone continued with their conversations until Shoeshine and Krypto's ears perked up, hearing a distress call for help. 

"Shoeshine! Shoeshine!"  

It was Jack's dad! And he was in trouble. Barsinister and Cad had captured him and were using him as bait in order for Shoeshine to come in an attempt to rescue him so they could get the beagle's superpowers. 

"Hey, um, we gotta go" Shoeshine told Polly and barked three times to Jack. 

"Sorry, Polly" Krypto apologized and also barked three times to his owner. 

Jack and Kali heard the three barks from their dogs and had to leave quickly, knowing something was wrong. 

"Hey, um, I got to go" Jack told Molly.  

"But, Jack-" Molly started, but the two teens already took off with their dogs.  

"That is one strange beagle and white lab" Polly thought. 

The teens and their dogs came around a corner where no one would see them. 

"What? What is it?" Jack asked Shoeshine.  

"What's wrong, boy?" Kali asked her dog in concern, petting him on the head. 

"It's your dad. He's in trouble" Krypto told Jack.  

"The guy from the lab got him" Shoeshine added. 

"You two go to the police station and wait for us there" Krypto told the teens.  

"No. He's my dad. You're not going to go without me" Jack insisted. 

"Me neither" Kali sternly added, always taking after her father's stubborn nature. 

"Alright" Krypto sighed, giving in. 

"Fasten your seat belts" Shoeshine told Jack. "It's going to be a bumpy ride"