Chapter 5

The next few days went great for Shoeshine and Jack. They had become really good buddies.  

At the Harpercop household that morning, Kali and Krypto where having breakfast with the rest of the family before they headed out for the day. 

"So, how's Shoeshine adjusting to his new life?" Jane asked the two while doing dishes. 

"He's doing great" Kali replied, finishing with her cereal. 

"For the first time in his life, Shoeshine told me he's really felt like Man's Best Friend" Krypto added. 

"Hey, how's it going with you at training Shoeshine?" Ann asked the white super dog. 

"We're still covering the basics" Krypto explained. "But I can see great potential in him. I know he'll make a great super hero" 

"Man, it must be so cool to be a teacher to a super hero and being able to train him" Brock told Krypto, being excited for what Shoeshine could potentially become.  

"But he's not a super hero just yet" Krypto reminded. "We still have to wait for the right time to bring him out into the public eye once his confidence builds up, then he'll be ready"  

"It might be nice to have another super dog around" Walter admitted while reading the newspaper on the couch. 

"Well, we better go" Kali told her family while getting up from her seat at the counter and grabbed her pack. "We told Jack and Shoeshine we'd meet with them today"

"Okay, have fun" Jane told them, smiling. 

"Be back by six" Walter added.  

"Okay, Dad" Kali said, as she and Krypto headed out the front door. 

Kali and Krypto soon met up with Jack and Shoeshine, and they all took a walk down town together. Shoeshine and Krypto were the happiest ever, both glad to have each other, already have becoming the best of friends. Shoeshine had always wanted a mentor, someone to look up to, while Krypto thought it was nice to take on an apprentice and teach him the rights and wrongs of being a super hero. 

The gang continued their walk when they came across a hot dog cart. 

"Come on, folks. Step right up and take a bite into a nice juicy hot dog" The vendor announced to the many people passing by.    

"Sounds delicious" Krypto wagged his tail while licking his chops. 

Shoeshine on the other hand was freaking out cause he didn't understand. "Oh my gosh! They're made of dog! Are you people crazy?!"

"Shoeshine, Shoeshine, come here" Kali brought the beagle over to her and whispered in his ear. "It's not real dog" 

"She's right" Jack and Krypto added in. 

"Well, what is it then?" the beagle looked back asking. 

"It's just animal parts" Jack replied. "You know, like noses, hooves, intestines" 

"And it tastes great" Krypto added, wagging his tail. 

"Well, in that case, I'll take two" Shoeshine now seemed interested in trying a hot dog. 

Kali then went to get some hot dogs for the dogs from the vendor. 

"Thank you, sir" She took the hot dogs and brought them back over to Krypto and Shoeshine, which they quickly ate right up. 

Shoeshine couldn't help but notice how the vendor was talking about his hot dogs and asked Jack why he was doing that. Jack said that he was rhyming. A gimmick to get people's attention. Shoeshine seemed to like that idea and would use it for later while in superhero training.