Chapter 9

Sirens blared, news crew and cameras were rolling, SWAT had arrived on the scene and secured the building at city hall, even a large crowd had gathered. 

Apparently, Barsinister had taken the mayor hostage and instructed Cad to tie a bomb up at the top of the building. Molly and Polly noticed what Cad was doing and followed him.   

Dan, Jack and the gang came running through the crowd of people to get to city hall. Krypto had changed out of his Superdog costume since he lost his powers from the kryptonite and didn't know when the effects would wear off. 

"Where's Underdog? Come on, get Underdog" The crowd was confused and a bit panicked as to what was happening. "We need Underdog!"  

Dan and Jack pushed their way through the crowd, getting up to the front where the police had blocked everyone off away from the Capitol building. The Harpercop family was already there and saw Shoeshine and the others come over. 

"Hey, there you guys are" said Walter.  

"What happened?" Jane asked in concern as she came to her daughter and Krypto.  

"Kinda a long story" Kali told her parents. "Simon Barsinister kidnapped Mr Unger, stole Underdog's powers and weakened Krypto with kryptonite, and now he's somewhere in the building putting his evil plan into action"

"This is terrible!" The twins looked concerned. 

"We're too late" Jack said. "Now what are we going to do?" 

Dan, Jack and the others knew they had to think of something and fast while the crowd continued to panic. 

"Please stay back!" a police officer with a megaphone ordered the crowd.

"Come on, get Underdog" The crowd kept saying. 

It all felt hopeless for Shoeshine without his powers. Even though Krypto didn't have his powers at the moment, he knew he just had to help Shoeshine find a way to stop Barsinister, even without their powers. 

Jack knelt down next to Shoeshine. "Shoeshine, I don't know if you can understand me right now... But forget about the past"

"Listen Shoeshine," Krypto told the beagle and his apprentice. "It doesn't matter if you're Shoeshine or Underdog" 

"He's right" Jack continued. "I don't care if you can talk or fly. You brought my family back together. You're a hero to me"  

Yep, there he was, regular Shoeshine boy. The dogs had no idea on how to stop Barsinister, but they soon started sniffing after catching the scent of something at the top of the building. 

"Shoeshine?" Krypto turned to the beagle, asking if he was smelling the same thing too. 

"I smell a bomb" Shoeshine told Krypto. 

"It's on the top of the building" Krypto informed.   

"But can I trust my nose again?" Shoeshine hesitated with uncertainty, remembering the mistake he made last time while in the police force. 

"Can you afford not to?" The white lab asked. "I mean, what are the chances there's a ham strapped to the roof of the Capitol building?" 

"Hmm, good point" Shoeshine mentioned.  

Before the beagle could take off towards the building, Krypto came up in front of him.  

"Shoeshine, look..." The super dog began. "This is going to the biggest challenge you'll face. I've been training you up to this moment"  

"I don't know how long it'll be until my powers return. So it's gonna be up to you now to save the city" Krypto pointed to his apprentice. "Remember, you don't need powers to be a hero, find the real hero inside yourself. Be the underdog"