Chapter 3

The gang soon ended up down at the park, all sitting on a bench together. 

Kali explained to Jack the whole talking animal thing and other stuff. She even gave Jack a intergalactic communicator so he could understand Krypto too. 

The gang was already starting to bond with all these weird conversations they were having, from talking animals to Shoeshine's abilities. 

"And that's only half of what I know" Kali concluded to the guys on her whole talking to animals gift, plus other things.  

"Maybe you're the problem" Shoeshine said to Jack. "A weirdo kid who can suddenly talk to dogs" 

"Nope" Kali and Krypto shook their heads in disagreement.  

"That serum you got into must've been filled with human DNA so that you could talk like one's dialogue" Krypto explained. 

"What serum?" Jack asked. 

"From the lab he escaped, down near Town Hall" Krypto replied. 

"What lab?" Jack asked again. 

"It's a long story" Krypto told him, shrugging his shoulders.  

"All right, can you speak other languages?" Jack then asked Shoeshine. 

"A little retriever. Some shihtzu" Shoeshine replied. "My Chihuahua is a little rusty, though" 

"He means other human languages" Kali and Krypto told the beagle.  

"Yeah" Jack nodded.  

"Oh, so English isn't enough for you?" Shoeshine asked.  

"Jack?" a female voice just then called out. 

The gang looked over to see a teenage girl with long hair approaching them. Turns out, this was a girl who Jack liked from school. 

"Shh! That's Molly" Jack quietly warned Shoeshine. "A reporter for the school paper" 

"She'll have a field day with you" Kali added in whisper.

"Just speak dog" Krypto advised the beagle. 

"Arf, Arf" Shoeshine tried his best. Luckily, Molly didn't hear him talking as she came over. 

"Hey" Jack got up and greeted Molly. 

"Nice to see you here" Kali also greeted. 

"How's it going?" Jack asked the girl he liked from school.

"Good. Were you just talking to someone?" Molly asked, looking over Jack's shoulder only to see the two dogs.

"Just my dog" Jack replied, turning to Shoeshine.  

"I've got my dog too" Molly told them before calling out to her dog. "Polly!" 

Shoeshine and Krypto turned around, looking over the bench to see female cavalier spaniel with pink bows in her ears running over to her owner. Shoeshine sighed dreamily, as that dog was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. 

"Are you okay, pal?" Krypto asked, noticing Shoeshine was in a trance. 

"She's perfect" Shoeshine only said, deeply in love.  

"Well don't just stand here looking at me, Romeo" Krypto nudged the beagle forward. "Go talk to her" 

"Okay, here we go" Shoeshine took a deep breath and went over to the cavalier spaniel, while Krypto watched from the bench. 

"Um, hello. I'm Shoeshine" Shoeshine greeted the cavalier spaniel. 

"Oh, well, hello. I'm Polly" Polly greeted back.