Roomies

Reader and Kai live together ; Reader has feelings for him and one day Kai brings home a girl.

Almost three months had passed since Y/N moved to live with Kai. His place was near her college and since she had been a late admission , the dorm had been filled. Kai had offered that Y/N move in with him she had agreed. All her friends had been against it specially Damon, but Y/N ignored them. Truth was she liked Kai and has never been afraid he’d hurt her. He always acted different towards her , nicer though he still got on her nerves some times.

“Morning roomie.” said Kai grinning when Y/N walked into the kitchen in morning still wearing her PJ’s. “Sleep well ? It sounded like you kept tossing and turning all night.”
Kai was leaning against the kitchen counter holding a steaming cup with coffee in his hands. Of course she had been tossing and turning. Thoughts about him kept her awake. Y/N wanted to tell him how she felt , but what would be the point ? It’s not like he felt the same way about her. She sighed taking a step towards the coffee machine to pour herself some coffee when Kai touched her hand getting her attention. 
“This one’s for you. Just how you like it - no sugar , no milk.” he said smiling. “I even added nutmeg for you.”
“T-thank you.” said Y/N looking at Kai with curious eyes. “Why are you being so nice ?”
Kai put his hands in his pockets leaning against the kitchen counter again. He was looking at her differently or maybe she was imagining it. Her ‘rommie’ was never this nice to her. Sure he’d make her morning coffee and breakfast but usually by the second minute she had entered the room , he’d be making comments about how annoying it is when she tosses and turns all night , making noises and keeping him awake. Or how she had woken him up coming late from a party at her friend’s dorm room. Kai was getting on her nerves most of the time and a few times she even considered moving out. Except she couldn’t , even if she wanted to. Y/N was in love with him. She hadn’t intended for her crush to turn into this but there was just something about him when he raised his voice during their bickering , looking at her with fire in his eyes that was drawing her towards him. Every little thing he did somehow was able to make her love him and hate him at the same time.
“What are you talking about ? I’m always nice to you.” he smiled at her. “Making your breakfast , looking after you… ”
“Right. Okay.” she said glancing at the clock on the wall. “Damn it , I’m gonna be late! Why didn’t you wake me ?”
“Because I like the sparkle in your eyes when you have slept 8hrs not 5. And you are not going to be late , I’ll drive you.” offered Kai. “Get dressed , I’ll pack your textbooks for today.”
Y/N looked at him suspiciously. Something was definitely up with him… What had been that comment about her eyes ? And how did he know what textbooks she’d need for the day ? By the time she had changed , Kai was already waiting for her with a packed lunch , all textbooks for the day and a cup with coffee to go.
“What are you up to ?” she asked suspiciously when he even offered to carry her things to the car for her.
“Nothing. Why do I have to be up to something?” he smiled putting the keys in the ignition. “Can’t I just be nice to my gorgeous roommate ?”
Y/N glanced at him trying to figure out what had happened to get him to act like this. Before she had time to even being processing what was happening , he parked the car on the college parking lot and went to open her door for her. 
“Classes end at 6PM right ? I’ll come pick you up.”
“Um … okay ?”
Kai winked at her and got in his car , driving away while she stood frozen in the parking lot starring after him. Y/N checked her lunch bag and couldn’t help but smile finding a veggie wrap inside. 
* * *

Y/N was in the kitchen that evening when she heard the front door unlock. Kai had come home and she was excited to see him again and figure out why he had been this nice to her the past month. She was starting to fall for him even more and a part of her missed their bickering over everything. 
“Hey you’re ba-”
Y/N froze on the spot. Her heart broke to pieces when she saw Kai and his arm around some girl’s waist , his other hand caressing her cheek as he was leaning in towards her. It looked like he was about to kiss her. 
“OH. I um …”
“Oh hey. Sorry , I should’ve called.” he said casually. “This is Mindy. We met at the coffee place down the street…”
Y/N smiled awkwardly waving her hand in ‘hello’ to the girl. There it was - she had kept quiet and Kai had found someone else. Even though her heart was breaking she was happy for Kai. Now she knew why he had been so nice to her - because he had started falling for someone. It made sense , love changes people. Maybe this was his chance to become better. Y/N felt her eyes starting to water and she knew if she didn’t go away he’d see her cry and thats the last thing she wanted. She cared too much about him to ruin his evening like this.
“Well , um … have fun. I .. I’ll give you some privacy.” she said quickly walking past them and locking her bedroom door behind her. Y/N slided her back down against the wall next to the door until she was sitting on the cold floor , her hand covering her mouth trying to muffle the sobs. A few minutes passed and there was a knock on her door. She ignored it , trying not to let the sobs become audible , but she lived with a vampire…it was pointless. 
“Y/N ? What’s … whats going on ? Are you OK?” Kai’s voice came through the door. He sounded worried.
“Yeah , I’m fine. Go back to your date.” she said trying to sound confident.
“I can hear your heartbeat. You are lying.” he said. “Talk to me , please.”
“I am not lying. Just … go back to Mandy or whatever.” 
“Y/N…. Open the door or I will kick it in.” he said twisting the door knob.
There he was. The Kai she knew and fell for , the one who didn’t accept ‘no’ for an answer and always got what he wanted. 
Y/N reached her hand up , unclocking the door. 
Kai pushed it open , glancing around the room searching for her until he saw her - her knees brought up to her chest , red puffy eyes with a trail of tears on her cheeks but what got to him the most was that she was avoiding his gaze completely. He sat on the ground next to Y/N , his eyes focused on her. 
“What happened ?” he asked. “Did someone hurt you ?”
Silence. Kai didn’t like seeing her like this , and he hated the thought he might be the reason for it. Y/N wouldn’t even look at him. He tilted her chin towards him until her eyes met his.
“Tell me.” he asked softly.
Y/N couldn’t take it anymore. How can he not know what the reason for her being like this was ? As if it wasn’t obvious. She slapped his hand away and then slapped him hard.
“Ouch ! Aghhh …” he said rubbing his cheek.
“That was for bringing a girl to our home.” she said angrily , getting up and heading into the living room with Kai on her tail. He grabbed her hand blocking her way. “Let go of me.”
“Why would you care if I bring a girl home or not ?”
“I don’t care. You can do whatever you want.” Y/N replied.
Kai smiled to himself. “You slapped me for bringing a girl to our home because you don’t care ? That makes no sense , Y/N.”
Y/N tried to come up with an answer but came up with nothing. Kai had pushed her buttons a little too hard this time. 
“Because I … … UUGHH!” she groaned , storming into the kitchen with Kai right behind her. He grabbed her hand making her spin around so suddenly she bumped into him.
“Y/N … ” he whispered, his eyes meeting hers. For a long moment they just gazed into each other’s eyes. Kai’s palm brushed gently her cheek and Y/N leaned in towards it. “You like me.” he said smiling , listening to her heart beat change. “That’s why you are so upset. You are jealous…”
“I am not upset.” said Y/N pushing him away , taking a step back from him turning towards the fridge. She opened the freezer , getting the chocolate ice cream box out. Kai swiftly took the ice cream from her hands putting it back in , his smile getting wider by the second. “I want my ice cream. Give it.” 
She tried to open the freezer again , but he kept the door closed not taking his eyes off her as she struggled to open it. Kai didn’t need vampire hearing to know she lied about being upset. Whenever something wasn’t going right for her , she’d reach for the chocolate ice cream. Always. And she hadn’t denied liking him or being jealous.
“Ugh !” she groaned in frustration. 
“Do you know why I brought that girl home ?” he asked suddenly serious , his fingertips trailing their way from her shoulder to her fingertips , intertwining them with his. Kai could feel her shiver under his touch , her heart starting to race. “Because I wanted to figure out something … and now I know.”
“To figure what out ?” said Y/N quietly , her heart beating so fast as if about to leap out of her chest. She was starting to get lost in his smoky blue eyes just like every time they fought except there was no fire in them this time, there was something else.
“How I feel about you.” he said smiling , slowly leaning in towards her. “I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you. Every night for months now I toss and turn in bed until I sneak into your bedroom to watch you sleep and when finally I do fall asleep you are still there. You are everywhere. It’s like you’ve gotten into my blood stream or something.” he said stroking her cheek for a moment. “Arhhh … Emotions are hard…”
“Wh-what … what are you trying to say ?” said Y/N , a small smile on her face. Kai had sneaked into her bedroom to watch her sleep. If it was someone else , she’d probably think it was creepy but when it comes to Kai it felt different.
“I think … I am in love with you.” Kai’s lips almost touched hers as he said it.
“You have a very .. interesting way of figuring things out.” she whispered.
“I’ll make it up to you.” he whispered gazing longingly into her eyes for a moment before his lips crashed against hers , scooping her up into his arms. Y/N’s hands moved towards his neck , pulling his face closer to hers. Kai seated her onto the kitchen counter , her legs hitching around his waist as his lips kissed her jaw line. “I love you Y/N.” he said softly into her ear while her fingers tangled in his hair. 
Kai rested his forehead against hers, Y/N’s fingers brushing against his scruff. Both of them smiling widely. His eyes were glowing and everywhere he touched her it felt like electricity coursing through her veins.
“I love you.” he repeated , listening to her heart skip a beat at his words. “I love everything about you - the way you crinkle your nose when you don’t like something. How your eyes glow every time you smile. The way you furrow your brow when you are thinking. I love every little thing you do. I love you.”
Y/N was at a loss for words. The evening had taken a very different turn. Kai kept looking at her, a little nervous waiting for her to say something but how could she put everything she felt towards him into words ?
“I love you too Kai.” she said. “I love you more than I can put into words.”
“So you forgive me for … hurting you earlier?” he asked smiling.
“I … I don’t know.” she pretended to think about it. “I may need more convincing…”
“You are so mean.” he teased , his lips colliding with hers again. “How about now?” he whispered. Y/N shook her head and he kissed her again and again , taking away her breath completely.