Chapter 10

They all got on their horses and rode north to one of the more protected Scottish fortresses, before sending for English troops to guide their slowly ailing King back to his kingdom.

A few days later, the Queen of Scotland, Ireland and Wales sat at her desk, signing the execution orders of those involved in the kidnapping of her and the French royals, before her page entered the room.

"Forgive me, your majesty, but the dauphin requests an audience." the young blonde said nervously. The French were taking a few days respite in their allies' land whilst she ruled over her countries.

"Of course. Let him in," Mary waved a hand to dismiss him. He bowed and held the door open for the French Dauphin.

She looked down, reading the order of execution again, moving her quill to sign at the bottom, before a voice stopped her.

"Mary." came the soft voice. She looked up and saw Francis standing in the doorway, wearing a white tunic underneath a leather and suede jacket, leather breeches and knee high boots completing his casual outfit.

"Come in," she smiled a little.

"Are you feeling better?" he asked, looking at her nose, which was only slightly bruised.

"Much. A tonic from my physician did the trick. And you? Are you alright?"

"Just tired. It's been a long few weeks." he sat on a chair near her. "What are you doing?"

"Putting those who kidnapped us to death," was the swift answer. Francis chuckled a little.

"Such a sudden statement." they sat in comfortable silence, the only sound being the crackling fire. "What happened?"

"What do you mean?" she frowned in confusion.

"You told the King of England that you had to do things, adapt, to keep your head and crown. What were they?"

Mary sighed. "Well, I had to learn and fight. Remember when we were young, and I surprised your court with the fact I could use a bow and arrow?"

"Of course,"

"I had to kill a few men with that weapon, before I came to you. Another few with a sword, which is why I knew how to get us out of that predicament. As for the other kidnapping incident, when they killed my brother," Francis nodded in remembrance. "I knew how to disable his weapons, as that was what I was taught to do by those loyal to me. When I was young, England wanted my head, or wanted my hand to go to Edward. So, I had to learn to stop them. I had to be cunning and intelligent and dangerous, so nobody would want to hurt me again. Or, they'd know not to attempt to. Some of my people wanted my head, but all wanted my power, so, I had to keep it from them."

"You've had to kill your own people."

"I have. I've killed many of those who I rule, who want me dead. Many English too. Things started to change when my mother was killed, when I took power and didn't let my country fall into disarray just like it did when my father died."

"What about in France?"

"What about France?"

"Do people want you dead there? Have you killed my fathers people?"

"No. They don't want me dead, they want me to someday rule there, because it's a fact i'll give them England, plus my own three countries. But, mine isn't like your fathers."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not like you. I wasn't allowed to be a child. I wasn't allowed to be shrouded by a loving mother and an absent father. I wasn't allowed to be kept safe. I had to fight for my life. My country isn't like your fathers. Or, it wasn't for a very long time. Angus was right. You and your siblings, more specifically your brothers, you've been shrouded from the real world by your mother and fortress. Your father and I know what it's like, and when you rule, you will."

"But I'm being trained to be King."

"But you haven't seen the real world. You've been kept in the castle all your life. I saw how scared you were when we were taken by those who wanted to hurt us. It's understandable, but your father and I weren't. That's happened to us many times."

"Father?"

"Ask him about it when you're older. You are being trained to be king, granted. But all you've seen is privy council meetings and occasionally seen your outside world. But, you haven't seen what I have. War, death, disease, power vacuums all around you."

"I'll see all of that?"

"And so much more. When you're king, however. Not any time soon."

"We'll be married by then?"

"Hopefully."

"Then, when all of that happens, I'll have you by my side, won't I? And you can tell me what and what not to do?"

"Of course."

"Will the men who took us, or helped, be killed?"

"If I write my name here, yes."

"Will you?"

"Of course I will. It's treason."

"And that's punishable by death, is it not?"

"It is. They'll be hung at dawn." she signed the death edict.

"What happens now?"

"I'll have my page direct the order to the executioner, and he'll have a last visit, time to write a will and a last meal, before being hung tomorrow."

"And you're okay with that? He's your subject." Francis saw the amount of papers of her desk. "They all are."

"They're traitors. Traitors pay with their lives."

And they do. Francis and his parents are present for the execution of the fourteen treasonous men. And, Mary saw what they were doing once the last had been killed. Henry covered his eyes, Catherine his ears. She let out a chuckle. If that wasn't their dynamic, she didn't know what was. Francis was the sheltered one. Mary was the one who had nobody to shelter her.

So, she waits. She waits for a country to fall into her grasp. She waits until she received word that the French arrived safe at their chateaux. And she waits for days on end as her cousin dies in the bed in front of her. And she waits for his breathing to stop before letting go of his hand, which she'd held for days. And she waits for the bells to ring.

And she waits for the men to kneel before her and cry out "The King is Dead! Long Live The Queen!"