Chapter 14

"Well then, what have we got here?" Francis looked up from his textbook at the sound of his soon-to-be wife's voice. After over a week of celebrations for the coronation, he and his family were stationed at English court waiting to take a ship towards France. Whilst Mary settled into ruling four countries, he was learning about them and how to rule at her side.

Francis looked up at his soon-to-be wife who sat on her grand throne at the back of the tall and long throne room. She wore an embroidered lace ball gown that trailed off her throne for a few feet, a tall golden crown on her head that sparkled with rubies, sapphires, emeralds and clear diamonds, her raven hair settled into long waves that passed her hips. He, like his father who sat near him, looked at her, then followed her line of sight, seeing two females walking towards her. One was far older with dark hair, another younger with orange. Both were dressed nicely, but both a little raggedy.

"The Lady Mary and The Lady Elizabeth, your Majesty," her page announced. Mary nodded once and waved him away.

So these were her cousins. Two of the only people in the world with a claim to the throne she now sat on. Francis acknowledged, looking to the young queen, before to the far older women. At least a decade between Mary and the orange haired woman. At least a quarter of a century for the fellow dark haired woman.

"Why have you asked for an audience, cousins? One is busy ruling over an empire."

"And a country that is rightfully mine," the dark haired woman spat.

"Ah, the treaty that names you our dead cousin's heir, cousin. Well, you misunderstand. The treaty your father made stated that should Edward die without an heir, the English throne went to you," she looked to the older dark haired woman, before to the orange haired one. "and, should the same happen, it would go to you. Unfortunately for you, he named me his heir before he died. You have a claim, and technically, you would be my heir should the unlikely occurrence that I, myself, die without a natural heir, cousin," she looked to the dark haired one again. "but that is all you both have that is common to me. A claim. Neither of you are the rightful Queen of England. I am."

Elizabeth's eyes immediately fell to the sizeable ring that sparkled on Queen Mary's left ring finger, the ring that had been given to her on the betrothal ceremony when she and Francis were children.

"I see," she laughed. "That's why you were picked, because you have the mighty France by your side." she mocked.

"Maybe, maybe not." Mary shrugged. "It could have been because I had three countries under my rule at the time. Or that I'm tolerant with religion and have single handedly created an empire. It wasn't my decision, it was your brothers'. He chose me. I had no say in the matter. But i assure you, it will remain mine now, you're not getting anywhere near my throne."

"We're his sisters."

"I'm his cousin. I'm the Queen of four countries. The future Dauphine of France. The Queen of England. What are you, cousins?"

They didn't answer. Just glared.

"I'll tell you who you are." she chuckled. "The women who wish to be the Queen. The woman who has had the crown slip through her fingers like sand on a warm beach time and again. The woman who wishes to be the warrior queen, the one who wants to bring England, and the world, into it's golden age. The women who are just desperate to be me." she highered her chin, already seeing their resolves breaking. Henry and Francis smirked at Mary and Elizabeth's resolve crumbling, the facade they put up crumbling with those words. It made Henry smirk wider than his heir, seeing the vulnerability start to play on their faces as their cousin manipulated them. He definitely made the right choice on this woman for his son.