009,

009, WHERE YOUR COMPASSION GETS YOU .

        AS, especially over the past few weeks it had become a daily occurrence, Katherine Jordan sat in the Garrison pub, she was surrounded by the dull wood shades and the regulars who engaged in conversation or a game of cards over their drinks

        AS, especially over the past few weeks it had become a daily occurrence, Katherine Jordan sat in the Garrison pub, she was surrounded by the dull wood shades and the regulars who engaged in conversation or a game of cards over their drinks. Though, this time, Katherine sat by the bar alone, with her middle finger absentmindedly tracing the rim of her whiskey glass. There was no other family, Shelby nor Jordan, around to spark up a conversation with her, and in a strange way she liked that. She had time to be alone with her thoughts. Well, she did.

"— Miss. Jordan, can I ask you something?" It was Grace's thick Irish accent that snapped katherine from her daze and dragged her back into the real world. Truth be told, Grace had been watching Katherine out of the corner of her eye for the past ten minutes, whilst tending to her barmaid duties. Katherine'd dark eyes snapped up from the bar top, and latched onto Grace's face. Their eyes met, and Katherine was surprised to see how the Irish woman's blue eyes didn't seem to tear away from her own in discomfort. She cocked an eyebrow upwards at the barmaid.

"If you must." With a huff, Katherine spoke as she picked up her glass, tilting the last of the strong contents into her mouth and down her throat. Grace nodded as the brunette set her glass back on top of the bar, the former quickly grabbing a rag from behind the counter and beginning to wipe down the bar top as she spoke. There was a certain heaviness in the air, between the two women. And, Katherine couldn't help but notice the churning sensation in her stomach, that pulled and twisted her insides into knots, making her want to scream.

"Are you in love, with Tommy — Mr. Shelby?" She corrected herself as soon as the words tumbled from her lips. She'd hardly had time to think about what she was saying before she said it. Katherine's dark eyes snapped toward Grace, and her mouth ran dry all of a sudden.

"What? What the fuck makes you think that?" Katherine asked in a hissing tone, whilst fishing around in her pocket for a tin of cigarettes. Grace swallowed thickly, swallowing her nerves as she paused, watching Katherine as she lit the cigarette between her teeth, smoke protruding from her lips and blurring the air around them. Katherine could have laughed at the question — Was she in love with Tommy? Don't be ridiculous. Tommy was her best friend, and he always had been, he probably always will be, there was no way she was in love with him. No way at all.

"Well, I just — never mind." Grace began, but soon fell silent as she shook her head and continued to wipe down the bar. The two women fell into silence, as a regular wandered up to the bar for a refill of his pint, and as Grace poured, she noticed how the Jordan woman had returned to staring at her empty glass in a daze. Once the man had gone, Grace continued, "For the record, I believe Tommy to be in love with you. Otherwise, why else would he look at you as if you're the only girl in the world?"