7. Secrets

If General Luna didn't die, and became Joven's adopted father... how will he meet—fall in love—with Colonel Enriquez?

* * *

Joven could still remember that day that he first saw the Colonel. It was during the time that his now foster father, General Antonio Luna, had received the audience that the young General del Pilar had petitioend for with the rest of his officers. It was when the Colonel himself was asked by his general to deliver the message beforehand the meeting, and Joven was having tea and ensaymadas with the rest of his father's closest confidants. At first meeting alone, his eyes were pinned on at the guest; only diverting to hide the blush when their eyes met for a second.

It had been a brief encounter alone, since his father immediately dismissed the Colonel to report back to the Boy General that they were meeting each other in few days time to strategize their next plan of fortifying the northern regions as originally planned before that misunderstanding in Cabanatuan that ended as a fiasco for the Kawit Brigade. Anyhow, Joven was expectant of the meeting. Especially if that would mean that he'll be seeing the Colonel again, befriend him, and be within approach.

"Heneral, bakit po kayo pumayag makipagkita kay Heneral del Pilar? Hindi po ba at hindi siya sumadyang humarap sa inyo noong tayo'y nasa Bagbag?" asked Paco with a curious frown, worried that a misunderstanding will happen again just like that of in Cabanatuan.

Rusca almost choked on his tea before chuckling. "Baka nga paborito ni Señor Presidente si Heneral del Pilar, pero mas mataas pa rin ang posisyon ng ating Heneral. Tsaka, Bulakeño yun. Di naman Caviteño. Hindi yun tatakbo hangga't kailangan. Magkakasundo sila panigurado ni Heneral."

"At yung huling beses..." General Luna trailed off with a wistful smile. "Kung di dahil kay Mascardo, baka nagtagumpay tayo depensahan ang Calumpit at ang Quingua. Kaso nga lang..." He laughed. "Caviteño talaga. Asahan mong lagi silang maghahanap ng gulo porket ang Señor Presidente ay isang Caviteño."

"Ang mga nasa ilalim po ba ni Heneral del Pilar ay mula saan, Tay?" Joven suddenly inquired out of curiousity. After all, if the Colonel was under General del Pilar, it would mean that they were from the same province. And he'll want to know as much detail as he could have. Additionally, he still found it weird regarding General Artikulo Uno as his father.

The rest of the officials stopped for a second on their foods and drinks to look at him. A long moment of silence settled as they turned to their general for any reaction. A second later, his foster father turned away as he covered his face with his hands and the others hurried next to him in comfort.

Joven was dumbstrucked about the reason, and remained helplessly traversing the darkness with the unanswered question.

All the while the officials gathered to assure General Luna that he heard right; the latter muttering, "Tinawag niya akong 'Tay'."

# # #

The day of the meeting with the forces of General del Pilar came much faster than Joven had thought. To be honest, he had been eagerly waiting. He had wished that it would be sooner, and now, the meeting was being conducted.

Joven stood close to where the Bernal brothers were just as the two generals finally came face-to-face with each other, as well as their next ranking officials—General Luna with Colonel Román and Captain Rusca; while General del Pilar with his brother, Colonel Julian del Pilar, and the same colonel who've delivered the message, Colonel Vicente Enriquez.

"Tignan mo nga naman itong si Goyo," Manuel whispered to his younger brother, Jose, nudging him by the side with a smirk. "Bayani ng Bulacan."

"Kuya!" scolded Jose as a whisper, stopping the older Bernal from being disrespectful.

The eyes of the rest of Luna's troops might be on General del Pilar; the same way that del Pilar's troops were on General Luna. But it had been much more embarrassing for Joven, since he was looking at one of the men who flanked the young and handsome general. The same man he had seen few days prior.

As if his thoughts had travelled on, the Colonel suddenly turned to his direction, catching his eyes. Joven instantly flushed, but before looking away, he noticed the Colonel smiling at him. That charming and captivating smile.

It hadn't gone unnoticed. Apparently, even if it was noticed by the officials, especially by the two generals, they didn't commented about it. Even when the two managed to finally have a formal introduction with each other, the others remained acting oblivious over the matter.

As the rest of the soldiers under General Luna and General del Pilar worked together, the time that Joven had with Colonel Enriquez also became frequent. Of course, Joven's foster father would not allow him to just wonder around without an officer with him. Most of the time, he was asked to come along with wherever Jose Bernal would be like some bodyguard of his. Too bad that his father would not even allow him to get-along with the forces of General del Pilar; and all he could do was to steal glances at a certain Colonel.

# # #

It was only during dinner after a few days that the discussion was brought on board. Despite being meant to work closely together, the generals had decided to take their meals at different times. Though they were offered the same food, they won't seat at the same time in front of a meal. It was all due to the fear that enemy attack would sprang at any moment, and well, there's the underlying inquiry that both generals couldn't be killed at the same time if there would be some poisoning or something. So, that time, it had been Joven, his father, and his father's officials who were seated on the table first.

"Heneral, baka maaraing hayaan na natin si Joven na makapag-ikot-ikot sa kampo magisa," Jose brought up. If Jose was to be asked, he was already fed up with having to always snap Joven from his daydreaming everytime that they were to be close with General del Pilar's men, especially when Colonel Enriquez was around. "Alam naman po ng lahat na ng sundalo rito na kapag napahamak si Joven, sa inyo sila malalagot."

His father regarded him for a second before turning to the other officials. "Joven, kay Manuel ka naman sumama."

Manuel suddenly stopped eating. "Heneral... Seryoso ba kayong hayaan si Joven na malayo sa lugar kung saan pinakaligtas? Alam niyo naman po kung saan ako naka-atas."

"Eh di kay Rusca," the General remarked on, but Rusca gave him a pointed look.

Joven remembered that the General had allowed him to be with Captain Rusca for a few hours, and when he heard the latter teaching Joven to curse, he immediately regretted it, giving his captain a long set of lecture not to be a bad influence.

"Paco?" the General suggested another time. But to follow Paco meant to be close to him as well. And any position close to him has a danger trailing on. He sighed. "Jose..."

"Tay, kaya ko naman po protektahan ang sarili ko," Joven interjected.

"Noong una at huling hawak mo nga ng baril, nabaril ka."

"Pero, tay... Tama naman po si Kuya Jose—"

The rest of the officials turned to Jose at that point, before the latter turned away as he brushed a sleeve across his face and Manuel, who was seated next to him, gave him a pat on the shoulder.

His father smiled with great joy, relief and pride, urging him to continue on.

"Di naman po ako mapapahamak basta't napapaligiran ako ng mga sundalo pong tapat sa inyo at kay Heneral del Pilar," Joven added.

Suddenly, all of the officials turned to him another time. The smile dropped from his father that seemed to make the room have a dark aura going on. He suddenly wondered if he had said something wrong.

The General stood from his seat, his heighttowering them all right now. He then stated, "Wala akong problema sa mga sundalo ni Goyo. Ang kinakatakot ko ay kung anong binabalak nung Koronel na kasama niya sa iyo."

* * *

A/N: Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates. ;)

#GoyoAngBatangHeneralStories || #ProjectAguilaStories