11. Return Pt II

Goyo survived Tirad Pass and was reunited with his love from Dagupan. But there is still someone waiting for him to return alive for Christmas, right? 

* * *

After spending a few days in hiding with the Nable José family, Goyo and Vicente decided to head back to Bulacan. They've preferred Joven to stay with the Nable José where they thought he would remain safe than him with the two of them being surely hunted by the Americans. Vicente was reluctant, but he knew that this was for the best; just as how Goyo had been so hesitant as well on parting ways with Remedios, whom he wanted to introduce to his family for formalities.

Joven, however, assured that it was for his own welfare. Remedios, on the other hand, though Vicente had joked that Goyo must remain loyal if they were to bump with one of Goyo's previous girlfriends again, had stood firm to say that she was fine and wasn't jealous; but if it reached her ears that the young general was back to his old tactics of "collecting" women, well, better never plan to return to Dagupan ever again.

The last night of Goyo and Vicente's travel before finally reaching Bulacan, it had been rainy. The two of them huddled at a cave they found and managed to light up a fire. But it wouldn't be enough unless there would be more firewood. At that, Goyo opened up his satchel and didn't hesitate to reach out for the papers that had been in; looking at each one without any moment of doubt to throw it later on to the furnace.

This hadn't gone unnoticed. Vicente immediately raised a hand to stop Goyo for a second. "Teka, teka. Anong ginagawa mo?"

"Kailangan natin mapanatili yung apoy, hindi ba?" Goyo inquired before shuffling letter after letter onto the fire. "Para naman kasi na kailangan ko pa ang mga ito."

"Sus naman... nagagawa at nasasabi mo lang iyan para makaapak ka pa rin ng Dagupan, 'no?" Vicente smiled.

Goyo stopped for a second before shaking his head with a light chuckle. "Walang mangyayari sa atin kung patuloy tayong magpapatali sa ating mga nakaraan. Kaya ko ito ginagawa. Nais kong maging tapat hindi lang kay Remedios, maging sa paninindigan ko na siya ang nararapat na babae para sa akin. Na talagang natatangi siya."

"Ilang babae na kaya ang nasabihan mo niyan?"

"Kilala mo ako, Enteng."

Vicente laughed. "Ngayon nga lang talaga kita nakitang ganyang katapat sa isang babae, Goyong. Totoo nga na naiiba si Remedios para maging ganyan ka."

# # #

It was about dawn when the two reached Bulacan, and what a flood of emotions it had been to find out that they were truly here. Alive.

Goyo never imagined that he'll be back here. To the town of his birth and childhood. At the day of Tirad Pass, he knew that he was to meet his end there. But it truly had been a trick of fate for the bullet to just sizzle a few inches away from his neck. And if his family heard about that luck of his, they would certainly panic and tell him to finally be done with his service. As if they could make him; and as if he would let them to.

But most of all, Goyo was thrilled with the knowledge of living. He couldn't wait to tell everyone that it was his will that made him survive. And that he wanted them to meet a woman from Dagupan whom he intended to make his wife after being his light and eye-opener.

"Goyong," Vicente called for him, nudging him by his side. He swallowed hard, afraid of relieving such memory of the latest battle. "Sasabihin mo ba sa kanila na muntikan ka na?"

Goyo sighed heavily. "Maiiwasan ko ba?"

"Hmm... iiyak kasi na parang bata na naman si Julian kapag ganun eh."

"Hindi mawawala kay Kuya iyon."

"Ibig kong sabihin ay mas lalong magiging bantay-sarado iyon sa iyo."

"At dahil doon ay paniguradong tatanda siyang binata."

Vicente chuckled at that, covering his mouth with his hand as if to ease his laughter. "Panigurado ngayon ay makakahanap na siya sapagkat 'di mo na magagawang mang-akit ng mga magagandang dilag kung saan man tayo mapadestino ngayon. Sinong mag-aakala na darating tayo ang panahon na magiging seryoso na ikaw, Goyong, sa isang babae."

"Sinong nagsabi na tatanda akong binata?" Eventually, the two of them stopped walking upon hearing that familiar voice and felt strong arms surrounding their shoulders to draw them closer.

The two of them froze. Especially Goyo whose eyes suddenly moistened and tears finally fell down his cheeks. His voice broke when he spoke, "K-Kuya..."

Vicente laughed, clapping the man on the shoulder to pull away. He was willing to give the brothers space. "Julian."

Julian let Vicente away, but kept Goyo within his arm. He knocked off his brother's hat and shuffled his hair. "Tangina niyo. Pinag-alala niyo ako ng sobra." He chuckled as he blinked away the tears of happiness from his eyes.

"Tangina naman, Julian, napakagandang bati naman niyan!" joked Vicente.

Goyo was still crying. His face was pressed on Julian's shoulder as if that will suppress him from sobbing; but it was so audible that he had been mumbling all over again three words, an opposite to what he had assumed at that time that they were swimming at the river in Dagupan.

"Kuya, buhay ako."

* * *

A/N: Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates. ;)

#GoyoAngBatangHeneralStories || #ProjectAguilaStories