21. Horizon || #GoyoAngstStories

There were countless of reports about the true events of the Last Stand at Tirad Pass, and most of them don't agree with one another except for the fact that a hero had died there. And history was written by the survivors."What happened in Tirad, stayed in Tirad." That would be the case if he wasn't the Boy General, or the Gregorio del Pilar who've died there. But he was, and Death was just waiting. For far too long.

* * *

He knew that he was the great eagle of the revolution. But he always asked himself if he had been that great all along. He was only known as "Aguila" for it was his chosen nom de guerre. He was only known because his uncle was a propagandist, and he had stood up to liberate his home province. There were so little he had done, and he was so young.

So young to be a general. And yet... he was one.

He felt inferior in the presence of American generals. Felt so small in a room filled with officials way much older than him.

But in the presence of his men... when Señor Presidente was there, he felt superior. He was serving the president of the Republic, and he was the latter's closest confidant. He was above compared to many others.

He was the hero of Bulacan living right above the clouds.

When angels fell from the earth

Does the drop from such height hurt?

"Kuya!"

The scream and the echo of the gunshot made him stop for a second. His hands around his cap and the hilt of his sword tightened that his knuckles turned white. And then, he shuddered.

A whisper followed him. A haunting one that seemed to remain so closely next to him. Like a shadow that came along everywhere he went; with a voice that had been awfully scary to taunt him whenever he was usually alone and had been in doubt of his own actions.

Takbo. Takbo. Takbo. Sadyang duwag ka.

He shook his head, telling himself, Hindi ako duwag. Ginawa ko kung ano ang tama.

Someone chuckled at him, echoing inside his mind.

Alam mo ba kung ano ang bulong ng konsensiya?

He shivered at the idea that someone was meant to put all the guilt on him. He knew deep down that he was just following orders, but a part of him was so sure as well that what he had done was wrong.

Snip. Walang sisihan, Goyo.

It was evident with that deep frown he has, and that shaking hands of his. The wind blowing wasn't just cold, but the voices it had been whispering were enough to make him wish to hide in fear.

Like the call of Death.

Informing him of an appointment.

Or was the ripping of wings

Left the scar that always stings?

It could've just been pure luck. Or perhaps death had been glaring at him, shaking his head, and saying, "Hindi pa ngayon."

Or maybe, upon seeing Death, he had been too shocked to think that it had been the end of his time. And Death was also equally surprised to see him there. Perhaps, if he had asked Death back then, he would explain his plea as "Laking gulat ko rin na makita ka sa ilog doon sa Dagupan. Sapagkat alam ko na magkikita tayo sa susunod pang mga linggo. Sa Tirad."