Chapter 14: Day 3

my eyes are peeled, trying to stay awake when i see some girl with a spear walk stealthily into the Career's basecamp. my lip starts quivering when Resin suddenly pops up and gets the girl in the heart, and she falls dead. i assume shes Larina, from 11 because her mentor makes an angry groan as her cannon goes off.

i feel my mind succumbing to a deep depression halfway through the day. a doctor offers me a pill to help but i refuse it and try to focus more on whats happening on my surveilance screen.

the Careers are making breakfast and Sage keeps glancing at the sky. hes so nice. worrying about me when hes staring death in the face every minute. damn i miss him!

they split up into groups to take their shifts for Day 3. Sage goes with Resin, Ambria with Talia and Daniella with Denmon. Sage and Resin go on watch, Daniella and Denmon hunting and Talia and Ambria napping in the mouth of the horn.

"so what do you do back in 2?" Resin asks.

"i dont know. work most of the time." Sage says. i laugh sort of loudly. his "work" is hanging out in my house!

"oh. what so you do?" Resin asks. no no no no! dont tell him about it!

"its complicated." Sage says laughing. i laugh more at that comment.

"well okay then?" Resin says. "training really takes up your life and free time. you only get to go to basic school partime. so the other kids my age who arent careers are so much smarter... all you ever do in training is train nonstop.it stinks." he says twitling with a knife handle.

"yeah. Daniella was bragging about being stronger than me on the train.....so i asked her a 7th grade math question and she got upset and went to her room for the rest of the night." Sage says laughing. i remember that, it was hillarious.

"yeah. shes annoying. i've been trying to think of a way to kill her off. all she talks about is you and your girlfriend." he says annoyed.

Sage tenses up at the thought of her making fun of me. he nods.

"yeah i know. she was bothering me about it yesterday morning. got any ideas yet?" he says hopefully.

"nope." Resin says sadly. "i mean i cant just stab her in the middle of the night. and theres no way for all of us to plan it without her knowing or hearing it." he finishes with a sigh. "so how'd you get that 11 in training?" he asks skeptically.

"i dont know how to explain it exactly. but just know, Love is stronger than Hate, and none is fair in love and war..." he says. i think back to what Sage did with the paint and the weapons in his private training session.

"what did the kid do?" Brutus asks me, turning around.

"oh....nothing!" i say cutley.

"he did something sappy, didnt he?" he says, disgusted.

"you bet he did!" i say triumphantly. he pretends to gag and turns back around to his screen. i smile to myself, taking in my victory.

i turn back to the screen and see them all switching shifts. Sage and Resin go in the horn to rest while Daniella and Denmon take watch and Talia and Ambria go out hunting.

i take this time to watch Daniella closley and plan out many different tragic ways she could die.

"so when can we kill boyfriend?" she asks Denmon frustratedly. he sighs angrily and rolls his eyes.

"when are you gonna shut the hell up about that! gosh!" he shouts at her. "your really bothering the shit out of everyone over that! him and his girlfriend could easily snap your neck! so shutup!" he says really frustrated. i laugh at the truth in that statement.