H U R T

"We don't pick who we fall in love with. And it never happens like it should."

~----~

B E N J A M I N  W A S  just as perfect as I remembered.

He paid for our ice cream and we sat down together, just joking and laughing about things that had happened while we were apart.

It was nice. Comfortable. Familiar.

But there was still something missing. Something - no matter how perfect he was - that Benji couldn't give me.

He was comfortable, but he wasn't exciting. He was familiar, but he wasn't safe. I didn't feel that rush. That rush that Colton gave me. Neither did I feel that overwhelming sense of security.

Colton gave me that.

Colton was exciting. Colton was safe.

Colton was still the main subject of my thoughts.

"Luna?" I whipped my head back up to look at Benji across the table.

"What?" I widened my eyes in guilt, realising I had zoned out.

Again.

Benji shook his head, a wry smile twisting up the sides of his lips.
"You okay?" He asked. "If you wanna go, you can."

My eyes widened further as I shook my head quickly.
"No," I said a little louder than necessary. "No. I'm sorry, I just have a lot going on right now. A lot to think about."

Well. One thing to think about.

Benji raised an eyebrow, clearly not believing me.
"I like to think I know you better than that," He smiled curiously at me. "What's going on in that pretty head of yours?"

Nothing.

No reaction.

No blush like I used to get around him.

No flustered motions and butterflies in my stomach like Colton gave me.

Nothing.

I gave him a small smile.
"Nothing," I shook my head, checking the time on my phone.

10:32

I cursed silently. I wanted a reason to leave. This had been a mistake.

My prayers were answered when my phone began buzzing in my hand. I tried not to sigh in relief, but I was pretty certain I let it slip as I brought the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I realised I hadn't bothered to check the caller ID.

"Princess," A deep voice sighed from the other side.

My breath caught in my throat by habit as his voice wrapped around my mind like a snake, my body shivering in response. I don't think I could have spoken if I tried.

"Luna?" His voice erupted through my ears again.

I swallowed, clenching my jaw shut as I closed my eyes.

"Luna?" A new voice now. Benji.

I got up from the table. This was wrong. I shouldn't be here.

"I'm sorry, Benji," I muttered softly, my mind fuzzy as I listened to Colton's breathing the other side of the phone. "I have to go."

I didn't give him a chance to respond, quickly kissing the top of his sister's head and giving his shoulder a squeeze before racing out of the store. I still held the phone up to my ear, part of me begging to hear his voice while another part wanted to scream at him for how he had left me last night.