D R U N K

"My heart is not a home for cowards."

~D. Antionette Foy~

~----~

I  C O U L D  have ignored the sting in my chest and said it didn't hurt.

I could have gone about my day, pretending that my mind wasn't replaying the moment I caught sight of that unmistakable smear of lipstick.

But I didn't.

Instead, in classic old Luna fashion, I took advantage of my mother's absence and did what I always used to do after breakups. No, I didn't go partying, get shit drunk and end up in some random guy's bed.

I went home, got shit drunk and ended up passed out in my mother's emperor sized bed. I guess my drunk self loved that bed just as much as my sober self.

Waking up, I felt like I had spent last night in the desert instead of at home with multiple glasses of rum and coke and my mother's special bottle of Pinot Noir. I think, at the time, I had promised myself that I'd buy another one and she'd never have to know, but just remembering the seventy-something-dollar price tag made the dull throb in my head more noticeable.

I groaned, flipping onto my back as I sorted through my hazy memories of the night before. I could sort of remember my brother coming home, but I couldn't remember if he had said something or completely ignored me before holing himself up in his room. I assumed the latter if his earlier attitude was anything to go off.

An alarm went off in my mind, a reminder that I had to do something this morning. But what it was, remained a mystery.

I swallowed a few times, licking my dry lips as I pried open my eyes. I hadn't gotten this drunk since my high school graduation. I glimpsed at my mother's digital clock on her bedside table before screwing my eyes closed again. It was eleven-thirty in the morning; not surprising since I assumed I didn't pass out until well into the early hours of the morning.

For one perfect moment, I couldn't even remember the reason why I had decided to drink myself half to death the night before. All I knew was that the sun was out, birds were singing, I was laying on the most comfortable bed in existence and the morning was pretty perfect. Albeit, I was hungover in sweats and a cropped top with a pounding headache, but that was nothing I wasn't used to.

Soon enough, my head came back to reality and the morning was suddenly a whole lot less chirpy. I groaned for a completely different reason than before and drew a hand over my face before rubbing my eyes.

Asshole.

Of course, with the wonderful memory of Colton, the alarms in my mind went off again and I froze.
"Fuck!" I swore.

I scrambled off the bed, underestimating the difficulty of covering seven-feet on all fours while still slightly intoxicated. In other words, I ended up hanging from the bed by my legs with a sore ass and my sweats around my thighs. I let out an aggravated sigh, letting my back reach the floor before throwing my arms out beside me as I laid there.

I was too hungover for this.

After a few moments of peaceful silence, familiar footsteps thundered down the hall as a voice called out to me.
"Luna," My brother burst through the door just as my name left his lips.

He hadn't quite caught sight of me yet, his eyes still taking in the room.
"Lu-" And then he did. "Are you okay?"

I gave him a lazy smile, eyes half closed.
"Mhmm," I hummed. "Just peachy."