Chapter 4

Crawford POV

Still in his clandestine base of operations, the command center specifically, Crawford heard the news of the Monroe murders' via the media and the internet. Crawford was indirectly familiar with the Monroe's' and felt partially responsible for their murder. After all, it was under Crawford's direction, under the guise of Detective Hector Dillinger, Private-Eye, that Michael and Tiffany moved from St. Louis to Fleming, when Tiffany was pregnant with the now orphaned Zach. Crawford had even received contact from Michael to Crawford's old Dillinger location in San Diego, which Crawford had retired. With his familiarity with the case, Crawford was waiting on a different phone call from his close friend, mentor and superior officer, General Joseph Sanders of the NSA.

Just as sure as he realized this, he received a phone call. The man on the phone was General Joseph Sanders of the NSA and Crawford's direct contact.

"Yes, General." Crawford answered immediately upon the ring through the extremely secured line Crawford kept for only such occasions.

"You've heard the news, Crawford?" The General said on the other line

"I'm on my way, General." Crawford answered without the General saying a word, which was the protocol for all CIA missions he was assigned, for the General just as soon hung up the line.

Unlike any other case, Crawford's history with the family has made his work partially cut out for him. Instead of spending several days of in depth research, it only took Crawford a few hours to gather the information.

Plus, Crawford had to his disposal every intelligence, military and government record database; local and national; in the world. Crawford has developed an incomparable network enterprise, using very well placed sources through thousands of any of his various alias' and cover identities throughout his tens of thousands secret hideouts and bunkers across the globe, including one on the moon.

The information Crawford found on Zachary Monroe and his case shook Crawford to his very Cor. This was a level of concern Crawford hadn't experienced since he was seventeen.

"Utu?" Crawford summoned his manservant and best friend, Utu Sal-Ore through the intercom of his large home base of operations.

"Yes, sir?" answered Utu from the other end, with his Zimbabwean accented Queens English.

"Can you come here for a minute?" requested Crawford, "Could you also bring me the latest issue of the Fleming Tribune?"

"Of course, sir." said Utu, "Would you like me to bring you your coffee and crumpets, as well?"

"Yes, please. Thank you, Utu." said Crawford.

Utu Sal-Ore was Crawford's most trusted confidant and the only other person who knows Crawford's true history, at least as far as Crawford is aware. Crawford fist met Utu in 1977, when the former was on a mission covering as Israeli Mosad agent, Yaniv Kohen, trying to track down a Palestinian agent of a PSP who was also an Islamic extremist and kidnapped an Israeli baby to be brought to the PSP. The agents trail led Crawford right through Zulu country. As was the norm in Crawford's profession, his mission was put on hold in order to help another crisis.

While making rest in Zimbabwe, Crawford got wind that a psychotic warlord had been terrorizing the Zulu tribesmen for months. Crawford agreed to help and was able to neutralize the warlord, who was orphaned, confused and religiously misguided, and brought peace back to the area. That warlord was Utu Sal-Ore, a large, muscular African warrior , excellent tracker but also highly educated at a British school house in Zimbabwe. Crawford offered Utu not to turn him into the authorities if Utu agreed to help Crawford capture the PSP agent and rescue the child.