Chapter 5

Zach POV

Zach was zooming down the streets on Kevin's bicycle so fast, he didn't know where he was going all he knew was that he was going to find the murderer himself and kill him. Zach hated the idea of being watched 24/7 by some creepy Mission Impossible looking guy and a gorgeous spy-chick who would make it much better as a model than an agent, even if Zach enjoyed that little smooch she gave him. Zach didn't want to be used as a pawn for some big game between the Feds and the Long River Mafia, which Zach wouldn't be involved at all if not for Charlie's stupidity. Zach decided that as soon as he found the gunman, he's going after Charlie.

Zach saw the gunman with his own eyes shoot his father, the bullet that was meant for him. This, his secrecy and not listening to Jonathan's advice to go home instead of going to play baseball when he finally got to talk to Kimberly, all made Zach angry and confused. Kimberly had left and Jonathan left too, when Zach needed his best friends the most. Jonathan claimed he went because his parents feared for his safety, that may be so, but Zach knew that it was just Jonathan's excuse to be with Kimberly. Corey was the only person left in his life that was with him.

When Zach had arrived at the Adams' with Alice and Tom, Corey was there, as was Kevin. Kevin said he was there because Kimberly asked him to keep some stuff in her room safe. Zach met Wanda, who seemed indifferent to Zach being there. Scott was nice enough. He was very understanding and put him in the room with Timmy and gave him a cell phone. Corey was trying to tell Zach something but all Zach could think about were his parents. Zach ran out of the house and grabbed Kevin's bike and rode away. He deliberately avoided his own house because the thought of seeing that place again made him sick and he knew that cops were there.

Before Zach right on the banks of the Hudson River in the interstate. Zach felt a vibration in his pants from the cell phone. Zach answered.

"What the fuck do you want?!" screamed Zach into the phone.

"Its okay, Zach, its me." It was Kimberly. Zach's heart skipped a few beats.

"Did your Dad tell you to call me?" said Zach.

"Well yes." said Zach, "He's worried sick and so am I."

"Tell him not to." said Zach, "I just need to be alone." Zach was only partially lying. Zach had the wherewithal to know that he had no hope of finding the killer or Charlie, but he needed time to think. Also, he was very happy to hear Kimberly's voice.

"Gail and Jonathan say hello." said Kimberly, "Jonathan apologizes for leaving you like this."

"If you don't mind, I'd rather not talk about It." said Zach

"That was pretty intense the other night, huh?" said Kimberly.

"What other night?" said Zach, "It was all intense."

"You know what I'm talking about, Zach. Or at least I hope you do" said Kimberly, "Despite all that you went through, you let me hold you and you were so gentle."

Kimberly obviously couldn't see but Zach was blushing.

"Oh that...thank you." He said shyly, "Thanks for being there. It meant all the difference in the world. And even though I know your Dad put you up to calling me, I'm happy you did and a little surprised."

"How so?" asked Kimberly.

"I don't know," said Kimberly's "I figured once you were in Canada, you'd forget all about me." Kimberly was letting out emotional pants from hearing this.

"I will never forget about you, Zach," whispered Kimberly intensely, "As much I've been trying to deny it. There's a strong connection between us and even though I'm not there, you can always come to me when you feel down. Just like I am doing because I feel down."