GLUED GLASS•

Phones sometimes are such a bother I murmured as I jerked up from sleep looking for my ringing phone , I had slept off watching tv, found the phone. An unknown number calling me, before I could pick the call dropped, leaving me staring at my screen and seeing five missed calls and three text messages from the same number "please ma this is urgent,do contact me ASAP". I wonder if this was Aunty Tinuke, that woman always changing numbers ,I dialed back, good evening Mary on the line, who am I speaking with? I was trying hard to not let my voice sound as tired as I felt. Oh,good evening ma,we have been trying to reach you. We? Who is we I thought . I'm afraid I have terrible news, my heart immediately skipped a bit, that bad feeling in my gut was back, what is it!i asked with no regard for however my voice might have sounded , it's your husband ma, he was in a tragic car accident , we tried rushing him to the hospital,but he bled out and we lost him before we could get to the hospital .
No!, my husband is at a meeting I spoke to him a while back, I would call him and get back to you, you have the wrong phone number ma! I picked up my phone dialed the number of the man who was the reason I looked forward to a new day "my heart" his phone was ringing , I could feel my rib cage closing in on me, the call got picked up, I squealed Akin!,baby I knew it was a mixup , you won't even believe what happened, the same feminine voice answered me "please ma,I know this is hard but we are with your husband's properties found on him, please do accept our condolences,if there's anything we can do to.." I heard nothing total silence,it dawned on me that this were the organizers of the meeting my husband flew to Lagos for..Akin! No!God please no, bring him back! Bring him back! I hadn't realized how much I was screaming , Teni and Pius ran up to my room, madam,Aunty ,what is wrong ,what happened ... I couldn't speak ,I was in shock, vibrating and screaming no God ,it's a dream please . Teni at this point was crying asking me to please say something . Call Aunty Tinuke I managed to say clutching Teni's hand for dear life, tell her to please come right away, Sorrow came knocking on our door and misery has let her in.
My world was completely turned upside down, it all seemed so real now, my baby was gone, all I wanted to do was die too. A red car pulled into the drive way ,it was my Aunty Tinuke, my mum's sister ,the only family I had left. Her eyes were so swollen ,she has been crying , I was in sitting room now, glass-eyed staring at everything but seeing nothing, Aunty Tinuke came into the sitting room with such speed, "my child, what evil has come near our dwelling ,she wailed ,why is the hand of death so unwise" she grasped me in a tight hug. I mourned Akin for months , I honestly don't know how I pulled through with the burial and all the pain, Akin would want you to be strong Mary, the line everyone threw at me, but they did not lie. Every morning I said here is another day without you my love. It's been 8 months ,I had refused to see my husband's will,I just wasn't ready.

Going downstairs for breakfast, something smelt so great. I had hired a new help,ikechukwu. Teni was more or less my daughter now,just not on paper, she filled part of the hole Akin's death had left,Akin the was awfully found of Teni,it meant a lot to me. Aunty Tinuke has been living with us 2months after Akin passed, she had encountered financial problems,managing since her husband passed away 3years ago , all her kids were married and still trying to stand on their feet's ••••well I needed the company anyways .