Chapter 9

Ashton's POV

Mackenzie's lips are soft and warm, but not interesting like I thought they would be. I open my eyes and see Carmen and her friend, Taylor or Tammy or whatever the fuck her name is, walking up to the school.

"Carmen..." I try to call out. I feel her lips release and I can finally breathe.

"Excuse you?" Her blue eyes pierce mine.

"What?" I ask, but it comes out meaner than I intended it to be. Oh whatever.

"You just said Carmen."

"No I didn't."

"Yes, you did!" Her fist tightens, but I'm not scared. She won't do anything. I look back over to where they were and they're already inside. "Do you not care about me?" I've never noticed till now how annoying and high-pitched her voice is.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Her small, but strong fist connects with my jaw and I slam against the brick. She kicks my gut and the only thing I can feel is the cold pavement against my cheek. A few kids gather around us and I feel helpless. She kicks my rib and the wind is knocked out of me. I close my eyes as she hits my face over and over. All the kids are laughing and cheering.

"Car..." I try to say with the air I have leftover. "Carmen!"

Mackenzie kicks my face this time and I hear, "Ash!" I open my eyes and Carmen throws herself in front of me the same time Mackenzie kicks her in the face. I feel ever more powerless when she does because I can't help her or reverse it.

"Move, bitch!" She yells at her. I shut my eyes again and hide in my hands hoping I can black out, so I don't have to see Carmen get hurt. Seeing her in pain hurts more than myself being in that state.

"Don't fucking call her that!" A voice yells and the kicking and punching stops.

Carmen faces me and tries to remove my hands. I reject a couple times, but I'm done resisting her. Her mouth is busted and blood runs down her forehead. I loose my breath at the sight of it.

That dumb bitch. The one I actually thought was better than any other girl hurt the only girl that can stand me. I wipe my cheek and blood, tears, and sweat are spilled on my hand.

"Carmen..."

"You're okay." She uses her sleeve to wipe the stuff off my face. I put this girl through so much hell, I'm surprised she hasn't left yet. I remember all the times she's said she wouldn't, but if I were her, I'd be long gone by now. We hug and I hold on tighter than I've ever had before. I was so scared when she was kicking me because I couldn't breathe.

"Please stay." Having her in my arms makes me feel like I'm not totally alone. I want to just stay here and cry in her shoulder, but I don't want Mackenzie to think it's because she beat me up. It's because I didn't know where Carmen was and also her getting hurt because of my selfish ass.

"Of course." She takes my face in her hands and they're colder than ice cubes. A jacket is pulled out of her bag and rubbed on my face to get the excess damage. I hear Mackenzie cuss me out, but I'm too occupied looking at Carmen to listen. I'm still shocked she hasn't moved in with Tori or someone.

"What happened?" She asks in a whisper. My head is still dizzy. I hold my stomach because it's throbbing with pain. Her little hands shake to remove them and her face when she sees the purple spot, I hope I never see it again. It's worse than when she cries.

"I'll tell you what happened! This little asshole thought it would be cute and moan your name in my mouth, so have fun because you can have him!" The blonde yells. I'm taken back by my own action. Carmen's face softens and interlocks her hand with mine. I look back to see if her friend was alright, but she's gone. Mackenzie stomps to her car and drives off finally.