Hidden away

Behind the bright eyes and an easy smile, was a boy made of broken glass. He knew one day some would see, and try to put him back together but no one can pick up glass without getting cut. No one would have ever guessed that the the boy who never said goodbye. The one always calling out a cheery

"See you later!" followed by a bright smile and an over enthusiastic wave, one that moved his small body with him.

Someone who laughed often and was a ray of sunshine in many people lives, no one would have guessed that he had no energy to get out of bed in the mornings. That on the nights he found solace in sleep, were the very same nights he cried until he passed out. Advice he gave, meaning every word. He found brief joy in watching others flourish and grow, but everyday seeing someone else he helped, use his advice, seeing that person overcome what he was still struggling with... it killed him. Tore him apart piece by piece, until he was nothing but a shadow of what he wished to be.

No one ever saw his inner struggle, and he never wished for them to see. He wanted them to be happy, even if he wasn't. Days and months passed, and even his feelings of sadness drifted away until he was numb. Lost adrift floating in an endless sea of negative thoughts, and self loathing. On the days where he thought he was okay, something would happen. No matter what it was, big or small. The devastation it wrecked on his mind was catastrophic. Then came a day, where not even the blade he had hidden away worked anymore.

He couldn't feel the kiss of steel, nor did seeing the blood have any effect on him. It poured down his arms and he just finally gave in. He had no more tears to cry, no more of himself to give. It had all been stolen from him. So with bloody hands he grabbed the bottle, and with empty eyes he read the label. Deciding the falling asleep wouldn't be so bad he took them all. He made it to bed, vision blurry and finally, he began to cry. Into the silence of night he whispered.

"I'm sorry"

The next day he was late to school, his friends worried and his mother received a phone call. She hurried home, storming into his room. Only to freeze, mouth parted as a gasp left her lips.

"...no...my baby..no!" she wailed running over to shake him awake. Her screams and cries drew the neighbors attention. They too were stunned by the hysterical mother desperately trying to wake her child. The woman went to comfort the mother, while her husband called 911. All went silent except for the pained sobs of the mother. Bits and pieces of the conversation could be heard.

"..yeah suicide.."

"No, the mother is devastated. "

"He was a bright boy, always smiling and helped everyone...I never suspected"

"...Alright, I'll let you talk to her."

No one had suspected, no one knew, the pain this boy carried, and now it's too late.