eight

WHEN TYE STEPPED OUT OF THE BATHROOM,

she felt the breath leave her. He was standing there, holding her badge and raising his eyebrows. "You're a cop," he said, "when were you going to say that, huh? Should have figured you were lying about your identity." He paused, tossing the badge up and then catching it. "I've gotta say, all it makes me think is that you totally knew who Dick was when he was chasing you, and that means..."

She watched his shoulders square up and his jaw clenched tight. "You were looking for me," he muttered in realization. "This wasn't an accident."

"Oh, trust me," Tye felt herself saying, "this--" she motioned between the two of them. "This was a total accident, trust me. I wasn't supposed to be here. All I was supposed to do was help Jim and Dick was there and God, I was terrified to say no because Batman was involved and-- Jesus, I'm sorry, please don't shoot me in the head."

Red Hood's expression turned shocked for a moment. "I wouldn't--" he began, "I wouldn't shoot you, lady, calm down. I'm not just that kind of guy. It's not like you--" He searched her eyes and paused, reaching out. "You're that police officer from a couple nights ago, aren't you? Look, I saved your life. You shouldn't exactly be chasing me around. All I'm doing is living, same as the rest of you." He pursed his lips. "Did you say Batman?"

Tye blinked, and then she nodded, which immediately caused him to turn on his heels.

He cursed to himself, pushing a glass off the table out of anger, and Tye didn't jump. However, it set her nerves on fire. "I can't believe this. He knows. Who the hell told him?"

Tye stood, blinking, and opened her mouth slightly. "Wanna give me my badge back?" She asked meekly, "I'd offer to give your clothes back but I doubt you'd wanna tell me your address for me to drop them off so, uh..." She trailed off.  She cleared her throat, he looked away and they stood in the awkward silence for a moment longer.

"You can't," he said, "tell Dick where I live. Please. This is important. I promise you what I'm doing is important and--" He broke off, clenching his jaw. "If you mess that up," he added, "I know I said I wouldn't shoot you, but don't give me a reason for making sure you can't say a word to Batman. I need to make sure he doesn't find out. He can't. It's critical to what I'm doing here."

Tye's mouth opened slightly, speechless. "You know Batman," she said in a shocked voice. "You..." She pulled her shoulders together. "Oh my God, you're going to murder me."

Red Hood groaned. "I just told you," he said, "I don't want to do that. I'm gonna offer you a deal. I'll pay you, and all you have to do is let me know what Gordon and Dick are talking about. I'll give you a burner phone, a number you can call me at and it'll work out fine. No one will get hurt, I just need to--" He waved his hand, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Look, I'm figuring this all out, it's just taking more time than I thought, and I just need you to temporarily stall them until I finish what I'm working on."

Tye clenched her jaw. "Only on one -- no, two conditions," she began. "First, I want to meet face to face. No calling. I don't want anyone to be able to track me that way." Then she held up a hand, adding, "I want to know your name -- at least your first name."

Red Hood paused, considered it and held out a hand. "Jason," he said, shaking hers when she offered it. He peeled off the mask, the red one that had been covering his eyes, and she couldn't help the way she felt immediately drowned in the colour. It was... It was beautiful. She cleared her throat. 

"Three conditions," she added in a lighter voice, and Jason, he laughed. "Cook me breakfast?"

"I can handle that one," he said, "come on and sit down. Prepare yourself for the best meal you've ever had."