eighteen

WHEN JASON RETURNED WITH THE COFFEE,

she couldn't help the smile that appeared on her lips when she moved to stand up. He put the coffee down on a table nearby and then moved over toward her, making sure that she wouldn't be able to fall. She pushed him away though, standing to her feet on her own. "I have to give it a shot myself," she told him, "or I'm never going to be able to walk again. You're babying me, Jay."

"I am," Jason agreed, and his eyes scanned her for a moment, "Tye, you're hurt. I know you're stubborn as all hell, but I need you to understand that. You're injured."

There was a knock on the door and Jason looked up, expression going shocked for a tiny, miniscule moment before he smiled as the doctor stepped in. "We're just going to give her another check-up before she leaves. She has the prescription sheets for the medication she needs. We just wanna make sure she's okay." He motioned for the nurse to come in.

They checked Tye's blood pressure, her heartbeat, and spent a little time having a discussion before they told her she could go home. So, because of that, she turned toward Jason. "Give me a second," she said, "Barb brought some clothes a couple days ago. I'm just gonna--" She motioned toward the bathroom.

Jason reached for her arm and helped her walk toward the bathroom. She shut the door, clicking the lock into place, and stripped off her hospital gown. She changed into the new clothes, adjusting her shirt before she turned toward the door. The minute she opened it, she grabbed onto his arm. "Give me a second," she managed, "you're right. My legs are sore. Do you think they'll offer me a wheelchair to leave?"

"I can... I can help," he offered, a little smile forming on his face. "I can help with that, Tye. I can help you get to the car."

"Are you offering to carry me?" Tye teased, and she was practically clinging onto him, hands curled into his shirt. She turned up to smile at him, leaning her chin against his chest. He was a lot taller than her, and it was a little shocking to her that he was so tall. "That's a lot to handle. I'm pretty heavy."

Jason laughed softly, leaning toward her slightly. He took her head in his hands and gently rubbed her cheekbones for a moment before he pulled away. "Don't worry," he managed, a little laugh spilling from his lips. "Don't even think about it. I'm strong enough to carry you, first of all, and-- If you don't want me to, I meant more like..." He broke off, one hand resting on her lower back, the other moving to wave slightly. "Let you hold onto my arm."

"You carrying me sounds good," she admitted, "as self-absorbed as it sounds. Does that make me sound like a prissy princess?"

Jason scanned her eyes for a moment. "No," he told her, "I offered, and hey, I don't mind. Everyone wants to be carried like a princess sometimes, huh? I mean, safety, comfort, there's a whole bunch of things."

"I feel safe with you," Tye told him after a moment. Jason briefly smiled, and when he looked away, she wondered when she'd ever hear the rest of that story -- the rest of his story. "We forgot about the coffee," she murmured, a little laugh spilling from her lips, "sorry about the money."

He shrugged. "We have a microwave at home," he offered, "why don't we go home and then heat it up?"

"Home," echoed Tye after a long pause, turning toward the door. "I like the sound of that, Jay. I really like the sound of that." She gently pat his chest and then leaned back slightly, looking up to him. "So, hey, Prince Charming..."

Jason shouldered the duffel bag he'd had there, handing her the coffee tray. Then, he whisked her into his arms and headed out the door. She felt like she was going crazy, like tomorrow she would wake up and it would have all been a dream. It was an awful way to think, but she felt like it helped her live in the moment. She didn't want to wake up, so she'd spend every second she could imagining it would end soon.

She didn't remember falling asleep, but when she woke up, she could feel herself shaking. She reached for her cheeks, wet with tears that she didn't feel like she'd cried. A scream had died in her throat, and in its place, it left a lump she couldn't swallow. "Tye," she heard someone say.

Jason, sitting on the edge of the bed, his face full of concern. There was no fear — maybe a little bit of pity, but he seemed calm enough. "What happened?"

The minute the question left her mouth, his lips twitched downward. "You screamed," he said, "probably woke yourself up. I wasn't — I wasn't asleep, but I heard you. Remember when I told you the truth?"

She nodded, giving a long pause. "I don't really like cliché monologues about my past and my feelings, but I can't right now. I'm exhausted," she told him, reaching for his hand. "You think you can stay until I fall back to sleep? You don't have to, and I feel like some sort of child asking you to do this, but..." She trailed off.

He gave her a reassuring smile. "Okay," he accepted, "lie down."

"Thank you," she told him, putting her head back into the pillow and letting her eyes flutter closed. "I don't know anyone who's his patient with me."

Jason bit back a comment about her mom. What happened to her? Was she just not patient? He had no right to ask, he just... Wished she would trust him with that information.

"I'm sorry," she told him now, and her eyes were still closed.

Jason paused. "Tye," he began, scanning her peaceful face in the dark of the room, only visible slightly through the shine of the moon, "I think we should go out for dinner."

She was asleep, obviously. Obviously, like his life wasn't already turning into a YA love story.

hi! i haven't been on my computer today so totally forgot to publish this. i know a couple people read this and you're all really sweet. x

thank you!!!
ive been watching the flash lately so time to write has been a little scarce. x