nine

DICK WAS SURPRISED
to find out that Tye came back. They'd agreed to meet up back at his hotel in Gotham. He was surprised to find out that she was completely okay and unscathed. "Hey," she said, offering a little wave, and Dick's lips curled up at the corners. She was okay. "Dick?" She asked, scrunching her eyes, "what's happening with you?"

"Everything," Dick said, pressing a hand to his forehead. "Jesus, Tye, I thought you had died. I called Jim and— Some other people. Some other people I don't think you know."

"What?" Tye asked in slight shock. Dick shrugged.

"Nothing," he said softly, "I'll call off the hounds. I just think..." He paused, opening the door wider for her. "Come in. I've gotta call a couple people but we can always eat some toast and then I'll make us some coffee." He smiled, motioning her toward the living room.

Tye offered a brief smile. "I already ate," she offered, "but I'd be glad to drink you out of coffee. Honestly, I think I need it." She stepped in, peering around as he shut the door.

He pulled out his phone and motioned for her to give him a minute as he stepped into the kitchen. "Hey Bru," he said, and she couldn't help but want to listen. She heard him shut the door but stepped close. He'd invited her in and now she was eavesdropping, but she was pretty sure these phone calls were supposed to be about her, so... She didn't feel as bad. "Yeah, I know," he said, "and I haven't asked if she did. I don't know what happened to her."

"No, I'm not giving her a full sit-down interview." He added afterward, and she could hear the exasperation in his voice. "Can I talk to Tim? Are you near him?"

There was a moment and Dick's tone shifted to the same old bright one she heard a lot. "Hey Timmy!" He exclaimed, "I know I made you worry a lot yesterday, and I was a little rude, but it's all over now. Don't worry about helping Barb with the cams and stuff. We found her, she's all safe and sound."

There was a pause and she heard him laugh, light and airy. "I haven't asked," he murmured, "but I will. Tell Alfie I'm coming by for dinner soon. Might even drag her along."

"Okay. I'll see you soon, Tim." 

The phone call ended and she heard Dick's humming begin as he lifted some china -- she heard it clink together. She immediately stepped away from the door and headed into the living room, sitting down onto the couch. "Weird question, but did you happen to see the Red Hood's face?" Dick asked when he walked out, setting their mugs down. "It's just... We're trying to figure out who he is and honestly, that would help a lot."

Tye, she couldn't help it. She shook her head. She lied blatantly to his face and she didn't feel an ounce of regret-- Until she did. Then she lifted her hand and motioned with a 'tiny bit' symbol. "I saw his jaw," she said, "and his teeth."

"His eyes?" Dick pressed.

She shook her head. "I didn't see his eyes," she offered, "he was wearing a mask. The same sort of one Robin wears. The--" She traced around her eyes and Dick gave a little laugh. 

"Got it," he said, and she didn't know why he thought it was so funny, "kinda like a masquerade mask?" He traced the same shape around his eyes and gave a little smile. "Got it, I know what you're talking about."

Tye offered a smile and nodded, clarifiying, "It was red though, y'know?" She put a hand on her knees, adding, "Are we doing that again tonight?"

"Yeah," Dick admitted, "one of the customers thats been seen handling some stuff with Hood will be there tonight. I need you to get up close and personal with him, sound good?" 

She nodded, but yeah, Tye felt the pit in her stomach grow.