Rhosgobel rabbits

Gasping for air, I shot up before wincing and yelping in pain. “Calm down Hyril, you are quite safe.” I turned my head to find Gandalf sitting beside me smoking a pipe. He put it out before standing up, “You are in safe hands,” nodding towards

Oin who had prepared a foul smelling ointment. Wrinkling my nose in disgust I sighed wearily and tried to stand. But as soon as I moved a searing pain shot up my back making me cry out. I could faintly hear Gandalf’s voice and felt a several hands force me back onto the bed, “What happened to me,” I mumbled trying to make sense of my surroundings.

Using his staff as a support he nodded curtly, and reluctantly the others left, all except Thorin who lingered at the entrance but thought better of it and left. He sighed wearily as he sat down, “The blow should have killed anyone,” he muttered eyeing me cautiously. I

shook my head and pointed to myself, “I proved otherwise. I’m still here aren’t I?” “That’s the thing Hyril,” he replied pacing up and down the room, “You shouldn’t be here.” Turning to face me, he stared at me intensely with his stormy grey eyes which flashed with concern and anxiety. “You’re body was battered and broken, beyond all saving when the dwarves brought you here-“

“Where is here,” I began looking around the tent.

He held up his hand and said sharply, “that is not of concern right now. When the dwarves laid you on the bed,” at this he waved his arm gesturing towards me “Your body began to heal itself, your life had returned to your undamaged body.”

His eyes widened as he sat down and reached for his pipe to light it, “Although not all wounds were easily healed,” he muttered cautiously eyeing my back. P

anic filled my heart as I slipped my hand underneath my cloak, as soon as my fingers brushed the tips of my wings, I hissed as a searing pain shot up my back.

“What’s wrong with them,” I spat my eyes blazing with anger as I tried to stand. He rushed over to me supporting my weight with his arms “They were badly damaged, beyond the healing skills of any dwarf,” he exclaimed helping me back onto the bed.

Anger replaced all emotion as I gripped at the sheets beneath me, “I-I-I need some time alone,” I whispered dangerously as silent tears slipped down my cheeks. He nodded slowly and made his way outside; a soft wind entered the tent making me wince as it blew gently on my back.

I lay down carefully; my body trembled with rage and sadness, ‘What’s happening to me? What happened to me?’ I thought to myself staring blankly into the distance.

A light sleep fell over me but I was soon awoken by footsteps, I felt my cloak being lifted from my back. I reached for my dagger and quickly pointed it towards the intruder’s neck. “Who are you,” I hissed squinting away into the darkness.

“Thorin, Thorin Oakenshield,” he murmured softly stepping forward.

The dagger fell from my hand and my eyes widened, “What were you doing,” I whispered, his touch lingering on my skin. He stared intently at me with his blue eyes which gave nothing away, “I needed to see them, once again,” he whispered his eyes darting towards my back.

Panic filled my heart until I realised that he was unafraid despite my difference. I nodded slowly as I removed my cloak; I squeezed my eyes shut as a light pain shot up my wings. I heard a short intake of breath; I opened my eyes to find that his eyes were filled with curiosity and awe as he reached out to touch them.

Despite their broken and distorted appearance he did not flinch.

“Don’t” I whispered reaching for my cloak and quickly wrapping it around my neck. He withdrew his hand sharply and cleared his throat, “Why have you come,” he asked softly, as he held my gaze with his eyes. I shook my head and tensed, “The past can hurt,” I chose carefully, looking away from him and bowing my head.

Silence echoed in the room, and I could feel my heart beat faster against my chest as Thorin grabbed my hand into his, “I know,” he whispered lifting my face.

“SOMETHING’S COMING!”

He stood up quickly and peered outside the tent, letting daylight wash in, he shouted a few things before turning back to me, “Wargs,” he spat drawing his blade. Reaching for my daggers I stood up, “Damn,” I cursed moving forward.

My legs gave way underneath and I crumpled into a heap on the floor. He helped me up and placed me back onto the bed, “Stay here,” he instructed before leaving me to join the others. Smirking I raised my eyebrow as I stood up once more,

“Yeah right,” I muttered slowly making my way outside. I squinted as I stepped out into the open, the dwarves stood around something while Gandalf muttered something under his breath. As I got closer I caught a glimpse of a familiar brown hat and the sound of old friends, “Radagast,” I called hugging him tightly.

“ah is that you my dear Hyril,” he smiled up at me as he took of your hat, “William and Connor have missed you terribly,” he said revealing two small birds. I laughed as they chirped excitedly, “Well hey it’s nice to see you too,” I said stroking their feathers.

Gandalf snapped him out of his trance, “What on earth are you doing here Radagast?” He whimpered slightly before turning to face him, “I’ve been looking for you Gandalf! The Greenwood is sick…” At his, I grew pale as I thought of home, “What sickness,” I muttered quietly placing my hand on his shoulder.

He trembled with fear as his eyes darted back and forth, “The webs,” he began, “Spiders. I followed their trail to Dol Guldur-“

“Dol Guldur,” Gandalf repeated, “But the old fortress is abandoned.”

“No Gandalf,” he said pointing a finger towards him, “A dark power dwells there, one that can summon the dead. A Necromancer I saw him with my own eyes!” At this he whimpered slightly and quickly passed to him a blade wrapped in cloth. Despite it being hidden, I could sense the dark power.

A low growl interrupted my thoughts and as I turned around I found a warg rider staring down at us from a cliff. “Was that a wolf,” Bilbo whispered still unaware of the danger behind him. “That was no wolf,” Bofur whispered motioning for him to turn around. The warg snarled and bristled its fur, “RUN,” Thorin yelled as it lunged towards us.

It was stopped midway by an arrow, “Kili,” I smiled as I turned to see the young dwarf with his bow in his hand. Gandalf looked at it with disgust before facing Thorin, “Who else did you tell of your quest other than your kin?” He stood proudly as he shot back, “No one I swear.”

I stepped forward and drew my daggers, “What in Eru’s name is going on?” “

You are being hunted, we must move quickly.”

Bofur walked up and leaned against his hammer, “I hate to be the bearer of bad news….well any news actually except for good ones of course but-“

“WE HAVE NO PONIES,” one of the others yelled.

I sighed as I cast a meaningful glance at Gandalf. “I’ll draw them off,” radagast spoke up leaning against his staff. “these are Gundabarg wargs,” I replied, “they will outrun you!”

As he hopped onto his sled he smiled mischievously, “I’d like to see them try.”