༄✧ 1. THE BREAKUP

THINGS LIKE LOVE.
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 ONE: THE BREAKUP.

*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*

IN A BITTER ATTEMPT AT ACCEPTANCE, JULY KEATON WISHED SHE COULD BRING HERSELF TO HATE DAVID DOBRIK. But he didn't deserve it, in-fact, he didn't deserve anything she could give him, for that matter. Her love, her affection, her trust ━━ he didn't even deserve her hatred. He didn't even deserve her acknowledgement, but with a burning pit of anger in her abdomen, the young woman sat stiffly on the kitchen counter, silently seething as she awaited his due return to the house she'd, just earlier that day, called her home.

It was a strange feeling, to be so unbelievably angry and so numb, all at once. It was as though she was trapped in purgatory, trapped between wanting to be strong and wanting to fall into a heap of misery.

Natalie's absence from the house was felt by nobody more than July. The two women spent the majority of their days (and eveninhs) together; it was only inevitable that they'd end up forming a somewhat sisterly bond. But as much as July adored Natalie, she was simultaneously glad that the assistant had chosen that particular week to take a family vacation. She didn't want to imagine how uncomfortable it'd be for her to be around during what was inevitably about to happen.

The front door opened within five minutes of July taking a seat on the kitchen counter and in reaction, her entire body stiffened, the realisation of what was about to happen hitting her all at once.

David casually strolled down the short entrance walkway, blissfully unaware of the storm that was awaiting his arrival just a few steps away. Having heard the quiet murmur of the kitchen radio playing (July's attempt to fill the suffocating silence of the empty house), the scruffy haired man walked into the room with his camera held up in-front of his face, his beaming, crooked smile contrasting greatly against July's bloodshot eyes and paperweight frown.

Immediately, his steps faltered and the camera was quickly shut off and discarded on the countertop. It was one thing for July not to greet him with her usual cheesy grin, but for her to be in such a state send David into an immediate panicked spiral.

July's heart physically ached as she stared at her boyfriend, expression blank and stomach twisting when he had the audacity to look worried about her.

She could've laughed at the irony, if only she trusted herself to open her mouth without sobbing.

In seconds, he was stood in front of her, hands instinct reaching up to cup her flushed cheeks with his hands, staring into her eyes with a thick layer of concern shining in his own. The woman wanted to flinch away from his touch, and almost did, until he broke the silence, eyebrows furrowed worriedly. "Juls, babe, what's going on?"

July swallowed, eyes flickering down to her lap before they moved back up to meet with his. Seconds from crying once again, she cringed away from his touch and tightly shut her eyes, shaking her head with a shaky exhale. "Don't touch me, David."

David's stomach dropped.

"Babe," He frowned, his face falling as he quickly pulled his hands away from her face, respecting her wishes but wanting nothing more than to pull her into his arms and never let her go.

The couple existed in a blanket of tense silence for a steady stretch of time. July spent the time staring at David and seeing a man she'd never met before, one who was miles from the man she'd fallen in love with, all those years ago.