Chapter 11: Raven

"I knew you'd come, Raven."

Hearing my footfalls against the cracked concrete, Jay slowly turns around.

Well, there's no turning back now. I walk toward the smiling young man, out of the shadows and into the light. "Shut up, Kawasemi. You don't know anything about me." I pull my lips into a thin line, noting the slight quaver in my voice. I must be a lot more tense about this than I thought.

Jay smiles at me tauntingly, and I find myself lose my cool. In a matter of a few milliseconds, I have my gun in my hand, pointed at his head, ready to pull the trigger at any moment. I am glad for my blindfold which would hide my restlessness reflected in my eyes. I try hard to keep my body calm, hoping it won't suddenly start shaking uncontrollably.

Being on the wrong end of the lethal weapon does not seem to concern Jay at all, and he lets out a small chuckle. "Say, Raven," he suddenly says, and I, being in a state of completely messed up nerves, almost kill him on the spot by accidentally pulling on the trigger. Thank goodness for the safety catch. "You remember our dream? The dream we used to work towards, together?"

As if I'll forget.

"We were going to look down upon this garbage town from atop this cage. We were going to find a place filled with love and human warmth, beyond these confines. We were going to find out what colour a grassland is. Together."

Yes, I remember very well, Jay.

"I'd always believed you would some day take me to this dream of a place, Raven."

You're right, Jay. It is a dream of a place. It doesn't exist. Don't you know that?

I scowl, narrowing my eyes under my blindfold. Really, does Jay still believe in those stupid fantasies? Didn't I tell him that it was all merely a child's wild daydream? Is he to tell me that he hasn't moved a single step forward from that day 8 years ago?

This time, I properly release the safety of the gun, and stick its point between his annoyingly forthright gaze. "Shut up. Shut up. Shut up." I don't care about the tremble in my voice anymore -- I have to wake Jay up from his dream, quickly, before it breaks him apart. "Jay Kawasemi... Do you realize you are committing a serious crime? This can send you to a lifelong sentence in prison!"

Jay laughs coldly. "A lifelong sentence in prison? Are you kidding me? This Dome is a prison in itself!"

Stop. Don't remind me.

"Kawasemi...Wake up."

Please. Please help me. Don't make everything more difficult than it already is. 

"Enough of your fantasies. Face reality already!"