Chapter 1

setting:
after Keys to a Demon Prison (end of fablehaven, but before dragonwatch)

during Trials of Apollo (after burning maze, before tyrants tomb) but nothing is really different from the end of Blood of Olympus except for that death.

I have reminders to vote at the end of each chapter. It isn't mandatory or anything and I hope it doesn't annoy you. Votes factor into the hotlist placements and I'd love it if you'd help me with that. Thank you!

amazing cover by the equally amazing and talented vhentii

chapter one - a n n a b e t h

Whoever had enlisted these spies really needed to fire them. If you really wanted to investigate Percy and I, you were going to have to need more than two kids. Especially when one of them doesn't even look like he belongs in high school. Of course, just because they were young didn't mean they were unskilled. I had been underestimated by many people, and I wasn't about to make the same mistake. But, this was no bad estimation, these people were just too obvious.

The brunette girl arrived as a new student in all my senior classes. Impressive for a sophomore. Her skin practically seemed to glow.

The other person staring at Percy and I was a young, dark-haired boy. The brunette sophomore seemed to be friends with him, and their resemblance suggested that they were related.

Now, on its own, this was completely normal. However, these two students wouldn't stop glancing, whispering, and staring at us.

Like I said, obvious.

Percy caught a dodgeball. "What do you think they are?"

"I don't know yet. Might be mortals, might be monsters."

k e n d r a
48 hours earlier - connecticut

As I splashed my face with water, I geared myself up to be ready to receive Warren's update about his investigation tonight.

Warren had been sent out to trail two suspected poachers of magical creatures. All they had against the two suspects was circumstantial evidence so far. Nothing significant enough to accuse them of anything. That was where Warren came in.

He was supposed to catch them in the act. Supposed to. From what everyone has been saying, they've been pretty slippery. I guess they'd have to be if they supposedly fought and killed dangerous creatures.

We also weren't sure if they were  magical creatures themselves. And if they were—having a avatar means they'd have to have some pretty potent magic.

Tonight, we'd hear from Warren. There was a rumor that they might recruit Seth and I to get close to them. Seth was all for it. It just seemed so dangerous and I didn't want to disrupt my life right now. We'll just have to wait for the phone call.

In the meantime, my feet pounded up the steps towards the attic.

The stairs creaked with each step. A long time ago, this might've creeped me out. Now, the only thing about this stairway worthy of creeping me out was the memory of when the evil brownies modified the stairwell.

Opening the door, I almost knocked into Seth, who was hauling the rocking horse towards the door.

Closing the door, I sighed. "What are you doing?"

He grinned mischievously, looking at me with delight shining through his eyes. "Remember when we sent this down the stairs, to set off traps during the evil brownie invasion? Well I was thinking I could ride it down the stairs."

Seriously? Now?

"Please don't break it. Find something else to do. Running it down the stairs will break something, whether it be you, the wall, or the horse."

"Do you think it's too pretty to break?" He asked, batting his eyes innocently.

"How can you not? Also, why would you cause the brownies any extra work than they already deal with?"

"Don't worry. The brownies like fixing stuff. Plus they'll probably add something cool, like rocket boosters." He imitated an explosion above his head. "Or weapons."

"It's a rocking horse, Seth."

After I had plucked a book from the shelf, I warned Seth not to push it down while I was descending.

The treehouse was a short trek away from the house, and I chose it as my reading nook instead of the noisy attic. It was there I curled up with my book, waiting to hear the call that determined the next course of action.

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

also if you want more brackendra, I have a work on my profile about that

don't forget to vote <33